• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A 10 HP increase for free!

oldnslow

It's a way of life!
It feels like my bike has alot more power this spring. How you ask? Because I have lost 50 pounds since December. (245 to 195) Man, the bike is quicker, handles better and is alot more comfortable!

Am I bragging? Yep, just a little bit. :nyah

Any other success stories out there?

Just did some math:

K100RT - 557 lbs unladen w/ full tank and 90 HP

In the first case, 90 HP / 802 lbs = 0.112 HP/lb. In the second case, 90 HP / 752 lbs = 0.120 HP/lb. The increase from 0.112 to 0.120 is 7.1%

Nice job!!

In an attempt to slow down my K bike, I have gained weight.......

Bike is still too fast, guess I better order more nachos and another beer

I remember not too long ago that when racing MX, a good reason to lose some excess was that every 7 lbs was worth one HP.

By those calculations my bike has gained close to 3 HP since fall.

Oldnslow, what's your secret?

By those calculations my bike has gained close to 3 HP since fall.

Oldnslow, what's your secret?

I eat VERY light and sensible. Very low calorie and fat intake, maybe 600-800 calories a day, and maybe 5-10 grams of fat, and I run alot. 25 to 30 miles per week. It has taken me 3 months to build up to that distance. but its exponential on how it works...the more weight I lose, the farther I can run, the more inches I lose. About 6 inches from my waist. I have a girlfriend and son who are very supportive also!

I think the running is the major factor in it.

Am I hungry? you betcha, but I feel 10 times better being hungry that I did being stuffed!

Excellent performance tweek, Mike. And all since January... that's incredible.
Keep healthy, keep up the good work!

Wow! With those numbers I wondered if one of the surgeries was involved. Great work!
I'm going with a simple eat less, exercise more plan. It's working, but progress is slower but consistent.

I eat VERY light and sensible. Very low calorie and fat intake, maybe 600-800 calories a day, and maybe 5-10 grams of fat, and I run alot. 25 to 30 miles per week. It has taken me 3 months to build up to that distance. but its exponential on how it works...the more weight I lose, the farther I can run, the more inches I lose. About 6 inches from my waist. I have a girlfriend and son who are very supportive also!

I think the running is the major factor in it.

Am I hungry? you betcha, but I feel 10 times better being hungry that I did being stuffed!
Sorry sir but if you are truly eating 500 to 600 calories a day you are not eating very sensible. You very well could be doing a lot more damage than doing good. Eating that low will cause you body to eat its own lean muscle mass so you are losing muscle as well as fat. Eating that low will also cause your body to hold onto everything it can for survival it is called starvation mode. I have lost 46 pounds in the same amount of time I eat 1600 calories a day I workout every day and eat the calories I burnt in my workouts as well as the 1600 a day so I average 2300 calories a day I am NEVER hungry I will never go back to being fat as I have kept my Lean muscle mass with out lean muscle mass you become skinny/fat it is the #1 reason for yoyo dieting. Without the muscle mass you lose the body becomes less able to burn calories + you CANT keep eating this low as soon as you add calories all the weight comes back + some but hey your bike is faster, ask your Doctor about your low cal diet I am sure he will ask you to stop you are putting your health at serious risk

Wow! With those numbers I wondered if one of the surgeries was involved. Great work!
I'm going with a simple eat less, exercise more plan. It's working, but progress is slower but consistent.
You are doing it exactly as it should be done move more eat less but I have found the cleaner my diet gets I really eat way more than I did as a fat guy. Try myfitnesspal.com and if you have a smart phone try the myfitnesspal app its a total free app with a large online community.

I used to be a serious bicycle rider. In that fraternity we always talked about how it was more cost effective to loose a pound of fat rather than spending big dollars to take a few grams off of a new set of shifters.

Congratulations on your weight loss! :thumb

Congrats on the weight loss. I'm doing the same thing but not as quickly (31 lbs in last 10 weeks). Feel a lot better and my fuel mpg is up 2mpg.

I figure if I had the will power I could probably do 80 more :)

Same here :)

247.6 on 01/31/12 when my doc threw down the gauntlet, to 207.4 today. I have been using a version of the Dukan diet, mostly because it made no quick promises and said losing and keeping the weight off would take time and persistence. I will say it has been a nice, steady 1/3 to 1/2 pound a day. Target is 190, planning on hitting that towards the middle of May - the hardest part was giving up pizza and Italian subs. Doc is thrilled, my BP is way down, and cholesterol has flipped to high good and low bad. The only people unhappy I think are the Italian Store and pharmaceutical companies ;)

Has been a lot easier than I thought, I wish I had done this 10 years ago.

Mike, I was 245 as well right at mid Jan last year. This year, I am at 199 as of last Friday. Probably 5 up this week though, on vacation, hard to work out & am eating a bit worse, but not as bad as I would have before... I sure do feel a ton better. Same here, eating right, running, jump rope, strength training, etc.

John.

Sorry sir but if you are truly eating 500 to 600 calories a day you are not eating very sensible. You very well could be doing a lot more damage than doing good. Eating that low will cause you body to eat its own lean muscle mass so you are losing muscle as well as fat. Eating that low will also cause your body to hold onto everything it can for survival it is called starvation mode. I have lost 46 pounds in the same amount of time I eat 1600 calories a day I workout every day and eat the calories I burnt in my workouts as well as the 1600 a day so I average 2300 calories a day I am NEVER hungry I will never go back to being fat as I have kept my Lean muscle mass with out lean muscle mass you become skinny/fat it is the #1 reason for yoyo dieting. Without the muscle mass you lose the body becomes less able to burn calories + you CANT keep eating this low as soon as you add calories all the weight comes back + some but hey your bike is faster, ask your Doctor about your low cal diet I am sure he will ask you to stop you are putting your health at serious risk

My calorie intake is up from that I'm sure;)...thats the ones I remember to count.:lurk In reality, I probably eat 1200-1500! How many calories in a bottle of beer anyway? !! Im familiar with the yo yo diet thing..Never been a problem with me. I just added these 50 pounds over the last 5-7 years from in-activity! I lost it from first of December to now, so about 10 pounds per month, which is reasonable, especially when first starting.

When I say 'sensible' I should have said " no Mc Donalds, no Taco Bell, no Pizza Hut..." I try not to eat 'empty calories'...but do eat fish, pasta, and chicken. Not too much beef, never have really liked beef!

Like I said, I'm sure the running 25-30 miles a week is the major reason for my improvements!

Great job on your fitness improvements too!

Same here :)

247.6 on 01/31/12 when my doc threw down the gauntlet, to 207.4 today. I have been using a version of the Dukan diet, mostly because it made no quick promises and said losing and keeping the weight off would take time and persistence. I will say it has been a nice, steady 1/3 to 1/2 pound a day. Target is 190, planning on hitting that towards the middle of May - the hardest part was giving up pizza and Italian subs. Doc is thrilled, my BP is way down, and cholesterol has flipped to high good and low bad. The only people unhappy I think are the Italian Store and pharmaceutical companies ;)

Has been a lot easier than I thought, I wish I had done this 10 years ago.

Thats almost my story, word for word!:dance

Back