• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'95 K75 Spare Clutch Cable

72r60/7

I changed a rear tire to start a 2 week ride and the next morning I found it flat in the motel parking lot due to a Sheetrock screw. I had a plug kit and plugged it (my first tubeless flat in 44 yrs) and pumped the tire up with a small 12 v pump that I have been carrying the last few years. So far so good with little hassle.

Seemed to hold air so I took back roads and side roads at moderate speeds till I got to the days destination.
I'm two up and loaded in an unfamiliar state. The next morning I found out my first plug was losing about a half a lb an hour. Not a good way to start a ride. So the next morning, I went to the local multi brand dealer (actually the closest m/c dealer) a few miles away.

They actually had a tire the right size at a reasonable price and I let them change it. I didn't want to change it in the lot next door in the sun. This was the first time I have had a dealer change a tire, and just chalked it up to "pay to play". Everything was fine till the young man that changed the tire squeezed the clutch lever as hard as he could with the side stand down. I hope he learned to not force things that day.

I carry a spare cable.

In 40 plus years I have needed 2 cables and that guy in front of the Pavillion at Daytona in the 80's (?) needed one too. Boy was he happy. And boy was I happy my 2 times that I needed one.

Charlie

p.s. They are up to $50 now, but that's a whole lot cheaper than not having a spare. A lot cheaper !
And the good dealers keep at least one in inventory.

Back