• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pristine 1992 K100RS being sold on BaT

ksdcr

This has just 8000 miles, so obviously been sitting for periods of time. Seller says he didn’t need to change out anything in the tank. Hard to believe all those hoses, fuel pump mount survived this long. It does sound like to runs well.

Nice shade of blue.

For the next owner, what would be needed, to bring this up to complete roadworthyness?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-bmw-k100rs-2/

Last edited:
WOW!

What a beauty. Someone is going to end up with a winner. With only 8k on it, they have at least another 150k left to enjoy.
I read all the comments. It doesn’t look or sound like it needs anything except to be ridden and keep on top of regular maintenance and be aware that it is a 30 year old bike, so be aware of anything that doesn’t sound or feel right, then investigate it immediately. Hard to imagine that it would need anything serious.

If I didn’t have 7 bikes in a 4 bike space, I’d be seriously interested (depending on bidding).

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
This was the same year bike that got me interested in BMW motorcycles in the beginning. It is a nice color, low mileage and has heated grips and upgraded rear shock. All positive. The big negative is that it sure looks scuffed up for 8000 miles. Look closely at everything in the photos-your enthusiasm may wane. My 1994 K1100RS looks pristine compared to this one and it has 50K. Price wise its top dollar already. My advice would be to wait. The owner made the right decision to post on Bring-A-Trailer. Somebody will over pay for this one.

The big negative is that it sure looks scuffed up for 8000 miles. Look closely at everything in the photos-your enthusiasm may wane. .

I thought a lot of the black parts were really faded for only 8,000 miles.
The final drive is shinny but it looks like it was coated with something.
Is the texture finish correct?

I think if you REALLY look closely, other than the left mirror on the spot on the trailing edge of the right middle fairing, what you think is scuffing is reflections of the sunor the photographer. Find a spot that you think is a paint chip or scuff, then look at the same spot in a different photo. No chip showing. There are a couple spots under the seat that just look like wax buildup. A lot of the “scuff” look is the reflection of the gravel road the bike is sitting on. Look at the photo of the bottom of the engine spoiler and notice the perfect reflection of the centerstand in the paint and the perfect reflection of the gravel of the driveway/ road.

As far as the black surfaces, it’s nothing that an $8 bottle of Stoners Trim Shine won’t have looking like new within the first 30 minutes.

That is one nice looking bike, but more importantly, it will probably RIDE like new. And if you RIDE it, it WILL get some chips or scratches eventually. If you want a museum piece with NO flaws you are going to pay alot. This seems like an extremely nice bike for someone to RIDE. It’s way more bike for the money than anything BMW is currently producing (at least at the current bid. We’ll see when the auction ends). And way cheaper/easier to maintain.

But then again, I AM partial to flying bricks.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Also watching subject auction, I was in essentially same situation last summer, knowingly overpaid on BAT for a beautiful low mile 1993 K75 with a few more visible flaws, asked for advice here on refurbishment. No large black lumps in fuel tank, but dark sooty gas came out when I blew on the removed filter. Decided to replace all rubber (fuel, coolant, vacuum, brake lines, fuel pump damper, 10 year old tires) except intake boots. External coolant and fuel lines could’ve lasted longer, no cracks or obvious damage. Replaced 30 year old air filter. Found quite a bit of sludge and some corrosion when rebuilding brake master cylinders and calipers, rear rotor needed the crud knocked off, replaced 30 year old brake pads. Was suspicious of partial gallon of coolant accompanying bike, took two attempts to rebuild water/oil pump, but drip finally stopped. Balancing throttle bodies made a real difference. Lubed final drive and driveshaft splines, they were in good shape, but totally dry. Engine guard required a time-cert in oil pan for stripped thread, replacement rubber isolators.

One of my kids asked if I liked riding or working on motorcycles best, he laughed when I said I really didn’t know. Dad, he sez, you can afford a new motorcycle, instead you buy ones that are at least 30 years old, spend months refurbing, spending more on parts than they’ve worth. I’m my defense, I have other bikes to ride while playing with a “new” one.

I love my new Flying Brick, too.

Also watching subject auction, I was in essentially same situation last summer, knowingly overpaid on BAT for a beautiful low mile 1993 K75 with a few more visible flaws, asked for advice here on refurbishment. No large black lumps in fuel tank, but dark sooty gas came out when I blew on the removed filter. Decided to replace all rubber (fuel, coolant, vacuum, brake lines, fuel pump damper, 10 year old tires) except intake boots. External coolant and fuel lines could’ve lasted longer, no cracks or obvious damage. Replaced 30 year old air filter. Found quite a bit of sludge and some corrosion when rebuilding brake master cylinders and calipers, rear rotor needed the crud knocked off, replaced 30 year old brake pads. Was suspicious of partial gallon of coolant accompanying bike, took two attempts to rebuild water/oil pump, but drip finally stopped. Balancing throttle bodies made a real difference. Lubed final drive and driveshaft splines, they were in good shape, but totally dry. Engine guard required a time-cert in oil pan for stripped thread, replacement rubber isolators.

One of my kids asked if I liked riding or working on motorcycles best, he laughed when I said I really didn’t know. Dad, he sez, you can afford a new motorcycle, instead you buy ones that are at least 30 years old, spend months refurbing, spending more on parts than they’ve worth. I’m my defense, I have other bikes to ride while playing with a “new” one.

I love my new Flying Brick, too.

You will have to teach aforementioned son, that the 30 year old BMW’s, are better built than the news one, costing multiple times more.

Just in case you’re not familiar, BAT prices are rarely cheap. It has changed a lot over the years, now it’s often a place to find something you’ve always wanted, couldn’t afford, now you can justify the cost, because you’ve always wanted it … At least that’s the logic in my head when I overpay! Bidders often wait until the last hour, or even the last few minutes, to crush dreams of a bargain buy, but you probably already knew all that.

This has just 8000 miles, so obviously been sitting for periods of time. Seller says he didn’t need to change out anything in the tank. Hard to believe all those hoses, fuel pump mount survived this long. It does sound like to runs well.

Nice shade of blue.

For the next owner, what would be needed, to bring this up to complete roadworthyness?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-bmw-k100rs-2/

I would have thought this was the 4 valve head? Not mentioned in the ad

Says "4 valve" right on the plate covering the spark plugs.
I had a '92 just like in the ad. Great bike, but heavy!

Frank

I have a '91 with the "88 blue/white bodywork.

Just thought someone would have added the 4 valve part in the description.

KSDCR is having fun, what it's all about!!

@snotty54,

Well, if you are referring to this comment……

“For the next owner, what would be needed, to bring this up to complete roadworthyness?”

I was being completely sincere. After all, the bike must have been idle for some period of time, with just 8,000 miles in 32 years.
After owning two K75’s, I learned that most of the in tank rubber components tend to dissolve, and should be replaced as preventative maintenance.
I thought that some long time K bike owners would share their opinions, on what else should be done.

@snotty54,

Well, if you are referring to this comment……

“For the next owner, what would be needed, to bring this up to complete roadworthyness?”

I was being completely sincere. After all, the bike must have been idle for some period of time, with just 8,000 miles in 32 years.
After owning two K75’s, I learned that most of the in tank rubber components tend to dissolve, and should be replaced as preventative maintenance.
I thought that some long time K bike owners would share their opinions, on what else should be done.

Quick test...remove the gas cap housing (4 Phillips head screws) and then take the flap off ( three bigger Phillips). Now you can access inside the tank. Either take a long screwdriver or put some deposable gloves on, reach inside the tank, and poke the fuel pump damper ( the black rubber part the fuel pump sits in). If the tank was sitting with any gas over those years, the screwdriver or your finger would come back with a sticky black goo. Those things resolve when exposed to old gas over time. If it's resolved into a blob of black tar.., the tank comes off, the fuel sender comes out, the fuel lines, the filter, and the pump come out..but it might take some effort to get the pump released from the tar.

With everything out, use a carb cleaner to dissolve the goo and paper towels to clean everything up. You can get a complete fuel pump setup from EME..either size pump should work. If the rubber absorber was a pile of tar and you ran the engine, it won't take long for the @#%$ to get sucked into the pump and clog it up.

If the bike is now running, but you get a backfire when slowing down, reach behind the rear of the throttle bodies and find the S-shaped rubber vent hose. Squeeze it to see if it has any cracks...air leak. The funny thing is even in the hidden position, it's easy to replace since the hose comes shaped for that configuration, and after cleaning up both ends and a little shot of WD40, it will pop right on with little drama.

It's always the little things

Up to $4700 with less than a day to go. That's top dollar for an old Brick, but this one look to be a pristine low mileage example, so...? Low milage examples of the Flying Brick are almost impossible to find these days. This one on BaT is less than a days drive from me. Luckily, I already have a 2004 K1200gt in my garage with only 15K on it, or I'd be tempted to bid.

Over 5 grand with just 2 hours to go. And on BaT all the real action happens in the last 30 minutes or so. Man, if I thought I could get 5K for my K1200gt I'd sell it tomorrow. (I think:rolleyes)

I am surprised a little, by the high bidding. Especially since the seller is just flipping it, and really hasn’t addressed any in tank components.

Congratulations to the seller! It brought 6400 dollars! I am sure a couple buddies helped pushed the bidding upward. Brilliant work by the seller placing on Bring-A-Trailer.

Last edited:
It is a very nice machine, but $6400+ 5% buyers premium, puts it at, or above what some of the high end BMW a dealers would sell it for. None of the commenters mentioned any of the negatives of these bikes, only the the positives.
I’ve seen a few 1100 RS bikes go for $3500-$4000 in my area, near Philly.

Last edited:
Back