• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pristine 1992 K100RS being sold on BaT

It is a very nice machine, but $6400+ 5 buyers premium, puts it at, or above what some of the high end BMW a dealers would sell it for. None of the commenters dates to bring up any of the negatives of these bikes, only the the positives.
I’ve seen a few 1100 RS bikes go for $3500-$4000 in my area, near Philly.

R1100s are going for a dime a dozen in my area. Given the choice, I would go with that blue K1100RS over an R1100 every time, but then some people think I have a thing for classic K-bikes. :brow. But, I do have an observation about BMW bike prices. It seems to me that each series goes through a slump in price when they become all but free. That is when they are about 25 to 30 years old. Too old to be relevant, but not yet old enough to be appreciated. It happened to the old Airheads years ago. I can remember being able to buy decent condition /5's for $1,500, or less Classic K-bikes have been about free for the last ten years, but I thought I detected an overall increase in price for nice ones starting a couple of years ago, and even more so last year. Many variables are involved here, but *if* I'm correct, now might be the time to stock your barn with R1100s. :dance

R1100s are going for a dime a dozen in my area. Given the choice, I would go with that blue K1100RS over an R1100 every time, but then some people think I have a thing for classic K-bikes. :brow. But, I do have an observation about BMW bike prices. It seems to me that each series goes through a slump in price when they become all but free. That is when they are about 25 to 30 years old. Too old to be relevant, but not yet old enough to be appreciated. It happened to the old Airheads years ago. I can remember being able to buy decent condition /5's for $1,500, or less Classic K-bikes have been about free for the last ten years, but I thought I detected an overall increase in price for nice ones starting a couple of years ago, and even more so last year. Many variables are involved here, but *if* I'm correct, now might be the time to stock your barn with R1100s. :dance

Or, a well cared for K75S. I see these starting to move higher.

If you’re looking, and you’d like to ensure you get your money out, provenance is the first step. Being patient for a decade while you ride it is the other investment.

I did this with my 916. They were dirt cheap, got destroyed as cheap used exotics when people didn’t maintain them, the supply disappeared and now they’re hard to find. It sold at 3x my purchase price 12 years later. Full documentation and history is key here. It’s not only about the bike, it’s about its history, too.

It doesn’t have to be an exotic. Try finding a clean, documented CBR600F2 or 900RR. Or an old Celica. Or a clean well cared for 90s Civic.

Imho, the bike has to be representative of the marque. BMW means boxers. Honda means an I4. HD is a 45 degree twin.

If I was going to make an investment in a BMW vintage bike, it’d be a twin that was aspirational for younger buyers when it was new, about 25 years ago. They’re in their 40s, have some money and will pay to own their idols.

So I’d be shopping late 90s into early 2000s. Blackbirds. 996s. SR4 Monsters. Clean GSXRs. BMW? The HP2 Sport for the street is getting there. Otherwise? A clean not destroyed HP2 with both sets of wheels or the street oriented HP2 would be my next place.

It’s tough to not lose money on bikes, but if you’re willing, it’s possible to minimize it by buying bikes that others will eventually realize they coveted and can now afford.

Or, a well cared for K75S. I see these starting to move higher.

I think they have a very narrow and finite buying population that is aging out of new bike purchases, in my estimation.

The only younger folks buying them are making cafes out of them, not restoring them, from what I see.

Happy to be corrected, but that’s my experience.

I think they have a very narrow and finite buying population that is aging out of new bike purchases, in my estimation.

The only younger folks buying them are making cafes out of them, not restoring them, from what I see.

Happy to be corrected, but that’s my experience.

That is what it seems all "younger folks" are doing to older bikes of all kinds, that I see: making "custom bikes" out of them, or butchering them, if you like. I think it's sad to see some beautiful classic BMW's like the RS's get this treatment, but at least there are younger people with enough passion for motorcycles to go to this effort. In my experience, once someone crossed that line and "makes" their own motorcycle, they are riders for life. And, in the long run, that's the best thing.

If you’re looking, and you’d like to ensure you get your money out, provenance is the first step. Being patient for a decade while you ride it is the other investment.

I did this with my 916. They were dirt cheap, got destroyed as cheap used exotics when people didn’t maintain them, the supply disappeared and now they’re hard to find. It sold at 3x my purchase price 12 years later. Full documentation and history is key here. It’s not only about the bike, it’s about its history, too.

It doesn’t have to be an exotic. Try finding a clean, documented CBR600F2 or 900RR. Or an old Celica. Or a clean well cared for 90s Civic.

Imho, the bike has to be representative of the marque. BMW means boxers. Honda means an I4. HD is a 45 degree twin.

If I was going to make an investment in a BMW vintage bike, it’d be a twin that was aspirational for younger buyers when it was new, about 25 years ago. They’re in their 40s, have some money and will pay to own their idols.

So I’d be shopping late 90s into early 2000s. Blackbirds. 996s. SR4 Monsters. Clean GSXRs. BMW? The HP2 Sport for the street is getting there. Otherwise? A clean not destroyed HP2 with both sets of wheels or the street oriented HP2 would be my next place.

It’s tough to not lose money on bikes, but if you’re willing, it’s possible to minimize it by buying bikes that others will eventually realize they coveted and can now afford.

Or, you can just ride the **** out of them and get you money back that way. :brow

A clean not destroyed HP2 with both sets of wheels or the street oriented HP2 would be my next place.

Careful, you can put your eye out with that thing.

I sold mine about 2 years ago, before I lost said eye. I had 3 sets of wheels... :evil

Go with the Megamoto... I think it would be better for your area.

IMG_5633-X2.jpg

IMG_5658-X3.jpg

Or, you can just ride the **** out of them and get you money back that way. :brow

I sold my 05 GS, bought the 916 for $5k and stuck some cash in the kitchen renovation fund. I rode the Duc for a decade, did a major service on it in my garage and sold it for about $13k, which used to fund a 2019 GS with 8000 miles on it.

I’d rather get my money out that way - in cash. :brow

:ha

That is what it seems all "younger folks" are doing to older bikes of all kinds, that I see: making "custom bikes" out of them, or butchering them, if you like. I think it's sad to see some beautiful classic BMW's like the RS's get this treatment, but at least there are younger people with enough passion for motorcycles to go to this effort. In my experience, once someone crossed that line and "makes" their own motorcycle, they are riders for life. And, in the long run, that's the best thing.

It’s what they’re for, imho. Every motorcycle I’ve ever purchased got taken apart when it got home.

They should work the way I want them to, not “best guess” for the “average rider”. I’ll say that I have had to spend a whole lot less time modifying the 1250GS than any other bike I’ve owned in 50 years of riding. The usual BMW Failure Trio: seat, shield, suspension, are all great as delivered. I don’t need to bolt a bunch of crap to it to listen to music or have navigation. I put ADV bags on it. The PO added crash bars (that are ugly AF). That’s it for added accessories beyond a sidestand big foot. I’m going to be the AntiGS Rider and not bolt an accessory store of lights and junk to a GS.

It’s quite a switch. But that’s exactly why the airhead and VFR will stick around. The airhead is old and primitive. It’s “roots riding”. It is 50+ year old, antiques technology andi have to be realistic about that when I ride it. The VFR, a 98, is halfway between the R100 and the R1250. It’s 25yo technology and I should be cognizant if it’s limits, as well. The R1250 is because I acknowledge that my prime riding capacity and capabilities are behind me and I should exploit as much safety tech as I can as I ride into my dotage.

So I’m fine with folks modifying old bikes to make them work or look “better”. It’s what motorcycle people do.

We always have.

I keep thinking an R100R with the single side swingarm and a GSXR fork, on radials and an Ohlins out back would really be a delight, but no pipe wrap, no stubby subframe. Alaska Blue.

A terrific suspension, lowish power, and monster brakes on modern rubber would be a really fun Roadster on the mountain goat tracks near me.

Back