• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

90 K75 Electrical Connector

MICHIGANMIKE

MichiganMike
I have a badly worn abused connector on the back of the standard 32amp alternator. There are two spades on the alternator, one about a 1/4 inch and the larger is almost a 1/2f inch. The existing connector holds both wires and pushes on. The connector does not appear to be available and I am wondering if anybody knows where to get a larger type female spade connector that would work on the bigger spade?????????????

Any help will be appreciated.

Little background. The original 32amp Alt failed and I replaced it with a 50amp which took the round connectors and so that is how I converted it. Then that alternator failed and I went back to the 32amp. I had saved the old original connector off the 32amp in the junk drawer but it was really rough and has not proven reliable, found loose wire on there today and it pulled right out when I touched it.

I got a 10gg / 12gg big push on connector at a good True Value hardware store - electrical section. I think you can also find them at Ace, and probably Home Depot.

Dorman 12-10 Ga. Female Disconnect @ AutoZone

According to their website, there's a location in Jenison about 5 miles away. You'll want to take the precaution to either wrap the 'exposed' (i.e. metal) portion of the connector in shrink tubing or ALWAYS disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before handling the connector, as its VERY easy to ground the wire against the alternator housing (sparks-a-plenty) - not that I've ever done that... ;) The standard insulated 1/4" female connector will do for the regulator/rectifier sense wire (i.e. the smaller one).

If you seem to be running through alternators, you may not have an alternator problem at all. What you may have is a "known" condition of degraded wiring for the alternator in the harness, where a steady rise in temperature will increase harness wiring resistance to the point that you'll not get charging output from an otherwise good alternator. There are issues with making your own alternator harness and wiring directly to the battery (relays to disconnect the battery/voltage sense wire when the bike is off, the aforementioned insulation on the large terminal, correct wire type selection for good long-term function, etc.). Have you had the 50A unit tested by an alternator test/repair facility (or your local BMW dealership?). I'd bet that the alternators (both 32A and 50A) when completely cold output charging voltage, but degrade as the bike (and wiring harness) gets hot.

Any of this sound familiar? :)

Last edited:
Connector Conclusion

All sparks are contained as required at the moment. Finally found the correct connector at a local Auto Supply store. Auto Zone did not have the bigger one.
HWI and True Hardware here did not have either. Home Depot only had up to the 1/4" as well. The correct one came from Standard Motor Products Inc from Long Island NY and is Made in USA. It is a 3/8" 9.5mm Connector. Now just have to decide which one of the two classics gets to travel to Branson with me, the Airhead GS100 or the Russel Day Long seat attached to this little K75? Life is good with sunshine and 60's in Michigan today.

All sparks are contained as required at the moment. Finally found the correct connector at a local Auto Supply store. Auto Zone did not have the bigger one.
HWI and True Hardware here did not have either. Home Depot only had up to the 1/4" as well. The correct one came from Standard Motor Products Inc from Long Island NY and is Made in USA. It is a 3/8" 9.5mm Connector. Now just have to decide which one of the two classics gets to travel to Branson with me, the Airhead GS100 or the Russel Day Long seat attached to this little K75? Life is good with sunshine and 60's in Michigan today.

Mike - I have an OEM connector for the 32A alternator I just cut off my salvage harness and I'm bringing it to Branson.

I bought a salvage harness a few years ago fairly cheaply just so I would have ready access to all those connectors that are so hard to find when you need one.

Don't let the smoke out!

Back