• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'86 with sidecar for sale on FL CL

I sure thought I saw that on local CL recently. May be legit, but many CL have not when you start discussing and there are red flag hoops.
Recall a mandarin 11xxgs that was posted all over US with local address

The VIN number given isn't complete...probably missing a final number. The "D" appears to indicate it is a 1983 bike.

Problem

The problem I would have with this rig is first, BMW quit building their bikes to have sidecars mounted on them with the end of the /2 bikes. So what ever year this bike is, it is not designed to have a sidecar mounted.

Now that does not mean there aren't people who still rig bikes but there are good shops, and rigs and there are fly by night and poor shops. A side car set up for universal fit may not play well with a BMW. Just because it bolts on doesn't mean it will track and handle well.

I would only consider a sidecar installed by one of the better know companies with proven track records. Getting a poorly installed/designed interface and you could end up with a wreck. That is me, I don't do cheap and poor design if I can help it not if it means I can wind up hitting the pavement or something hard. St.

I bought this bike, lol.

Turns out, it is an 82 that has been parked since 2017. Seller was settling his dad's estate. All the typical craigslist transaction issues, but I have it home and rideable. Got it for well less than ask.

I'm not in love with the sidecar... Have been futzing with alignment and mounting. Bike itself is straight... Fresh battery, plugs, as gas got it started. Sorted a couple of loose wires and am waiting on caliper kit.

This is my first airhead... Fun project so far.

I'm uncertain as to model year. Some VIN decoder says 83, dealer says 82. WB1036402D6386750

Probably built in the last 3 months of '82 and titled as an '83 which is typical of BMW bikes built after the annual vacation month (for Oktoberfest :) ).

RealOEM indicates the bike was built in Aug 1982, so technically should be an '82 model as far as I understand.

RealOEM indicates the bike was built in Aug 1982, so technically should be an '82 model as far as I understand.

Both of our 2011 K1300Ss were made in Aug 2010 and licensed as 2011.
One of our 2016 R1200RSs was made in Aug 2015 and licensed as 2016
Both of our 2022 R1250RS were made in Aug 2021 and licensed as 2022

I don't know if it was different in the 80s.

Both of our 2011 K1300Ss were made in Aug 2010 and licensed as 2011.
One of our 2016 R1200RSs was made in Aug 2015 and licensed as 2016
Both of our 2022 R1250RS were made in Aug 2021 and licensed as 2022

I don't know if it was different in the 80s.

Voni's R1100RS was built in March, 1993 and purchased by us in May 1993 (Mother's Day). It was shipped by BMW as a 1994 model and registered in Kansas as a 1994 model in May of 1993. There was no such thing as an 1993 R1100RS in the United States despite the early 1993 build date.

I don't know that there has been anything hard and fast regarding build dates and "year" models when just around the Aug-Sept timeframe. But licensing is a different animal that model year. I've always heard that model years were Sept to Aug of the next year. In the case of my R69S, it was built in Apr/May 1968 (BMW doesn't have any more than that) and it was finally sent from the factory in Dec 1969 to German dealer so it is titled as a 1969 model. Back during the /2 days, very little changed in the bike from model year to model year...there were slight improvements made along the way. But it seems that beginning with the /5, there were more definitive changes made across the model year lines...certainly '73 /5 to '74 /6 as an example. That is not to say that parts still in supply weren't used as needed whenever a bike came down the production line. Or if something ran out, and the next model year part worked, they would just use it. Mostly that change if year-change issue doesn't really involve critical parts.

Back