• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'84 snowflake wheel paint?

JOHNP

JohnP
Cosmetics of my snowflake wheels are getting rougher. Does BMW offer the correct light silver wheel paint (or formula) or are we left to our own devices to match as close as we can? thks.

Nope!

Probably powder coating is best answer, after blasting.... I've been wanting to paint my KLT wheels, too. They are powdered from factory but I think the silver is butt ugly! If no to the powder coat for you, you may consider a good blasting anyway and paint with the likes of Rust-o-leum. Its pretty tough and comes in Industrial grade...Maybe not the best, but definately cheaper and good prep will show a fair to nice job...Good luck...Randy13233 PS;I'm considering the same, because the KLT wheels are always collecting dirt anyway. The worst wheels I've ever seen for this. Tunnel around the rear bags on KLT create all this mess on the rear wheels.

If you go the paint route make sure to prep the alloy wheels real good with a primer specially formulated for aluminum.
Then paint as you please. Remember that prepping for paint takes longer than painting itself, but if done right the result will last a long time. Good luck!! :D

BMW did, but no longer does, as it's stopped shipping chemicals across the pond. There's a Glasurit code, of course. Contact Holt BMW, the far and away BMW paint experts.

Last edited:
I agree its all bout prep work
look at all the cars out there, including one of mine, with paint flaking off
it was all about primer and paint prep
so
soda blast the wheels
clean clean clean
top quality primer
top quality paint
as far as color, how exact do you need to get
are you going for "showroom" resale
or just top quality good looks
prep prep prep

Last edited:
What does not work on painting wheels

I will tell you what not to do. I took off my front wheel, cleaned it, shot it with black Krylon primer, then topped with Krylon flat black paint. It did not stick and could be rubbed off with your thumb nail. I blasted it all off at the spray car wash and now the wheels look worse than ever. :banghead

Probably powder coating is best answer, after blasting.... I've been wanting to paint my KLT wheels, too. They are powdered from factory but I think the silver is butt ugly! If no to the powder coat for you, you may consider a good blasting anyway and paint with the likes of Rust-o-leum. Its pretty tough and comes in Industrial grade...Maybe not the best, but definately cheaper and good prep will show a fair to nice job...Good luck...Randy13233 PS;I'm considering the same, because the KLT wheels are always collecting dirt anyway. The worst wheels I've ever seen for this. Tunnel around the rear bags on KLT create all this mess on the rear wheels.

The KLT's are worse than snowflakes for dirt? That is bad. If I paint my snowflakes I think I will paint them road grime grey. It may not look as good as the factory silver, but you won't be able to tell if they are dirty.:brow

Back