• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

83 BMW r80 rt VIN LOCATION.

captain1972

Does anyone know where this will be? Also I hust had the bike completely custom restored. When the frame and drive shaft was taken off and sent to powder coat they removed the aluminum sticker with VIN #. Is their a remedy for this error?

Attachments

• 83 r80 rt.jpg
    83 r80 rt.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to the forum! Curious, do you have the bike registered as an '83 and what was the VIN number?

According to Snowbum, in the 1983-1984 timeframe, things began to change with stamping of the bike. It might be on the flat area just next to the oil dipstick. Up to around this time, the engine and frame serial numbers matched but BMW stopped doing that as well. Snowbum mentions a milled flat area below and forward of the left cylinder. Some of that info can be used, in such cases, for a registration number. It's possible that the numbering there could be used to determine build date.

The seven digits "617xxxx" equate to a R80RT built Jan 1983. So do the areas I mention match anything you have for VIN? Clearly somewhere they obtained the original 17-digit ID number.

And if it were me, I wouldn't leave these documents online...probably best to delete them. IMO.

Back