• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

76' R90/6 Dual front ATE brake conversion

achart17

Hey Guys,
Looking to convert the 76' 90/6 to dual ATE brakes up front. I have a right fork slider that matches to the tube and axel nice but I just cant seem to find much information on the calipers and if the ATEs are left/right specific. I did some research on snowbums site but couldn't find much concerning a conversion for keeping the ATE's. My questions are if the calipers are left/right specific. The difference between silver and blue 40mm calipers. Can the stock fork clamp and top yoke be used or would a triple clamp conversion be necessary. Lots of questions here, thanks in advance. Any other advise for this conversion would be greatly appreciated.

38mm and 40mm calipers

Make sure you have either 2 38mm calipers or 2 40mm calipers to do your conversion. You will also have to upgrade your master cylinder to a dual outlet so make sure it matches up to what ever size caliper you use. I believe the black calipers are the 38mm ones, silver are the 40's (they have the size on them somewhere) and the blue ones may be the Motosport ones but its just a cosmetic difference but I don't know for sure.

Top clamp and all that other stuff is the same so no need to change. I think the calipers can be used on either side, not right or left specific. You just have to switch the bleeder and brake line to keep the bleedr fitting on the top and the brake line on the bottom.

Zeff

brakes

Hey Guys,
Looking to convert the 76' 90/6 to dual ATE brakes up front. I have a right fork slider that matches to the tube and axel nice but I just cant seem to find much information on the calipers and if the ATEs are left/right specific. I did some research on snowbums site but couldn't find much concerning a conversion for keeping the ATE's. My questions are if the calipers are left/right specific. The difference between silver and blue 40mm calipers. Can the stock fork clamp and top yoke be used or would a triple clamp conversion be necessary. Lots of questions here, thanks in advance. Any other advise for this conversion would be greatly appreciated.

I have an R90s so it has the stock dual ATE 38mm setup. The calipers are black. Somtime in '75 or '76, the calipers were enlarged to 40mm but were still black. Blue 40mm calipers were exclusive to later r100RS models, but would work with your conversion.

And yes, there are specific left and right calipers in regards to how they plumb. I think you could switch one from left to right by simply turning it over, but your brake line plumbing might be inconsistent.

And if I recall, the dual disc master cylinder found on the R90s has a different bore size than the single disc setup.

FWIW, I've owned R90/6's with the single disc setup and they stopped fine, once the caliper is aligned, with correct brake pads and brake lines either in stainless or with stock lines that don't expand.

I also owned a R75/5 with stock front drums and I would swear that setup worked as good as the dual discs on my R90s.

No matter what you do, you're not going to transform your braking into modern Superbike class, so if it's aesthetics you're after, then I would say go for it.

just my $.02

RPGR90s

FWIW, I've owned R90/6's with the single disc setup and they stopped fine, once the caliper is aligned, with correct brake pads and brake lines either in stainless or with stock lines that don't expand.

Oh sure. Those were BMW's first anti-lock brakes, even with the slippery tires of the time.

Back