• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

4 Litre BMW oil change 2018 RT

This would be far from the first time that BMW has mixed up specifications when attempting to convert from metric to US measurements. I recall several such snafus with conversion of Newton Meters to Foot Pounds of torque. And a few with measurements of fork oil from CCs to ounces.

As usual, when it doesn't seem right it probably isn't.

Looks right to me.
4 liters is 1.06 gallons. 1.1 gallons is close enough for me.

You're right; that's the published procedure. My experience is that the level doesn't change between hot and cold. I check it when it's warm, leave the bike on the centerstand overnight, and find it's at exactly the same level the next morning when it's stone cold. You're experience may vary.

I've discovered the same thing on 3 of my beemers. A 2012gs, 2011rt and the 16rs. It may have also been that way with the 07gt, but I can't remember for sure

Looks right to me.
4 liters is 1.06 gallons. 1.1 gallons is close enough for me.

Oh, the conversion is correct. But the physical space might mean they meant 4 quarts instead of 4 liters. That was my suspicion. Or not. :scratch

Oh, the conversion is correct. But the physical space might mean they meant 4 quarts instead of 4 liters. That was my suspicion. Or not. :scratch

Back as far as 07 [ on the GT pdf manual ] it states

Engine oil capacity, total 3.5 l, with filter change
0.5 l, Difference between MIN / MAX marks

Has bmw been getting it wrong since 07 in their manual? 3.5L equals 3.69841 qts.

Back as far as 07 [ on the GT pdf manual ] it states

Engine oil capacity, total 3.5 l, with filter change
0.5 l, Difference between MIN / MAX marks

Has bmw been getting it wrong since 07 in their manual? 3.5L equals 3.69841 qts.

I have both the english and the french manuals. They both say 4L. The french one doesn't even mention gal.

That's because the owners manual calls for four quarts not four liters which will over fill the oil sump.

I stand corrected ,the owners manual does call for 4L. However 4L will overfill the sump and fill the sight glass to the top. I have always filled my four RTs with 4 Qts and a new filter at every oil change and it brings the oil level in the sight glass to exactly where it is supposed to be. So for me I'll continue to do so.

Attachments

• oil level at oil change (2019_12_04 18_39_48 UTC).jpg
    oil level at oil change (2019_12_04 18_39_48 UTC).jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 99
  • RT Oil level.jpg
    RT Oil level.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 98
I guess I'm too old :gerg to get used to anything that doesn't have a dip-stick.

OM

*shrug*

My '88 K75 had a sight window as does my VFR I've owned since '98.

Didn't take long. I'm down to just the airhead, my old truck and the /2 having dipsticks. 3 out of 8 vehicles.

And those vehicles are definitely meant for three-piece suit types or people that hate to get their hands dirty. One of my cars is like that. :banghead

Because it's so easy, I tend to check it more often, but I can only speak for myself.

I wear suits. I have no problem getting my hands dirty. :D

Because it's so easy, I tend to check it more often, but I can only speak for myself.

I wear suits. I have no problem getting my hands dirty. :D

Dave, you know exactly what I mean.

If you open the hood, you cannot take a oil level reading for a while. If the oil is cold, you cannot take an oil level reading. Who the eff programmed that into the ECU. Some non-car guy that spent far too much time in university.

Give me a dip-stick or at least an oil sight window that does not pop out ;). No electronics required and I ran my section of an electrical standards lab.

Dave, you know exactly what I mean.

If you open the hood, you cannot take a oil level reading for a while. If the oil is cold, you cannot take an oil level reading. Who the eff programmed that into the ECU. Some non-car guy that spent far too much time in university.

Give me a dip-stick or at least an oil sight window that does not pop out ;). No electronics required and I ran my section of an electrical standards lab.

I feel ya, Alex. ;)

I had a sight window pop out of my R11S, so I wasn't surprised to see that they modified them with a circlip in later models. But yeah, there's something satisfying about dipsticks - a nice analog oil check.

I hope your day's going great. I'm probably gonna go buy coolant for the car, now that the garage is starting to have some order, so thanks again for the docs you shared over. :thumb

Is 4L the same as "4 l" and the same as 4 liter? And I had no idea that BMW made a R1200GT.

A very special limited production model never imported to the US and whose distribution was limited to Lichtenstein. I think…
:)
Best,
DeVern

With this thread in mind, I changed the oil on my R1250RS today. When I was putting in the 4th liter, I watched the sight glass and stopped filling when the oil reached the top of the red circle (MAX). Remembering to put the fill plug back in - I've forgotten to do that at least once before on other bikes - I started the bike and didn't see any warnings.

Side note: I'm used to there being an oil light on the dash that stays on for a second or two after start up, then goes out. That always gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I'd gotten things right. Not so with this cold, German machine.

I let the bike sit for well over 5 minutes and checked the sight glass again. The oil level was about half way. Pouring in what was left of the 4th liter brought the level back up to just below MAX. I started it again, and it has now been sitting for a couple hours and the oil level is about 1/8" below MAX. However, it is sitting in a Baxley chock, which raises the front wheel a bit, instead of the back wheel being up a bit on the center stand. No matter; I'd rather have a bit too little oil than too much. I'm going to call it good.

Also, I love a sight glass. My Street Triple uses a dip stick and it's a PITA to read and launched a thousand dip stick threads on the Triumph forums.

With this thread in mind, I changed the oil on my R1250RS today. When I was putting in the 4th liter, I watched the sight glass and stopped filling when the oil reached the top of the red circle (MAX). Remembering to put the fill plug back in - I've forgotten to do that at least once before on other bikes - I started the bike and didn't see any warnings.

Side note: I'm used to there being an oil light on the dash that stays on for a second or two after start up, then goes out. That always gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I'd gotten things right. Not so with this cold, German machine.

I let the bike sit for well over 5 minutes and checked the sight glass again. The oil level was about half way. Pouring in what was left of the 4th liter brought the level back up to just below MAX. I started it again, and it has now been sitting for a couple hours and the oil level is about 1/8" below MAX. However, it is sitting in a Baxley chock, which raises the front wheel a bit, instead of the back wheel being up a bit on the center stand. No matter; I'd rather have a bit too little oil than too much. I'm going to call it good.

Also, I love a sight glass. My Street Triple uses a dip stick and it's a PITA to read and launched a thousand dip stick threads on the Triumph forums.

Ride the bike for 30 miles or so, then check the oil level after sitting on the centerstand for at least 5 minutes. See if it reads the same.
When I park our RSs in a Baxley chock the oil level reads slightly lower than a centerstand reading. Not enough difference to worry about.

If the manual says 4L and you have drained the oil on an oil/filter change and added 4L, why would one worry about where the oil sits in the sight glass?

4L is what's called for and you added 4L after an oil drain, why are people worrying about what the sight glass shows? What am I missing here that people have to question oil level when the proper amount has been added. :dunno

If the manual says 4L and you have drained the oil on an oil/filter change and added 4L, why would one worry about where the oil sits in the sight glass?

4L is what's called for and you added 4L after an oil drain, why are people worrying about what the sight glass shows? What am I missing here that people have to question oil level when the proper amount has been added. :dunno

There is the possibility that 4L of old oil didn't fully drain. Everyone has their technique, and sometimes it isn't fully kosher. And then you add 4L of new oil and bingo, overfill.... :whistle

I changed the oil today on my 1250GSA. Added 3 3/4 liters, ran it for a couple minutes (the engine was still hot), shut it down and put the bike on the side stand for 10 minutes. I then put it on the centerstand and rechecked it after a few minutes and it was right at the top of the red circle. Another 1/4 liter and I would say it is overfull. Am I wrong? :brow

Back