• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

24K Service: R1150RT UPDATE

tangoalpha

Oilheads,

Just wanted to thank all of you for your time and input on the many questions I have been posting lately. It's because of you that I have been able to accelerate my learning curve, find the confidence to take on the project myself and also avoid some of the pitfalls along the way. This forum is a tremendous resource and I'm grateful to the members who've responded to me by offering their advice and sharing their experiences. So thanks for all your help.

Here's an update on the bike. The 24 service is nearly complete. I've been taking my time with the service and doing everything in stages, as time permits. Also being that I live nowhere close to a BMW dealer or really any other retail store that carries everything I would need, I've had to do purchase a lot of the parts/supplies online. I've found Amazon to be an excellent source for things like oil, filters, cleaning supplies, etc. For everything else like crush washers, gaskets, fuel filter, alternator belt, etc, I have bought those items from Beemer Boneyard. Between the two, I've been able to cover all my needs and much more affordably than buying from a BMW dealer.

So with all that said, so far I've changed the spark plugs, changed the oil in the crankcase, gearbox and final drive, changed the alternator belt, replaced the fuel filter, installed a tire pressure monitoring system, inspected the brake pads, inspected the hydraulic clutch fluid & inspected the final drive. Obviously I still need to adjust the valves, and change the brake fluid. I also have a new set of Metzler Roadtec 01 tires that I will be mounting this week. So all in all, for a guy never worked on an Oilhead bike before, I must say that I'm very pleased with the results so far. So far, the fuel filter replacement was the biggest pain in the butt. The alternator belt was not bad at all, once I figured out that I had to remove the right hand side shark fin to pull the alternator cover out and that there's a nut on the left hand side of the bike on the alternator bracket which is used to lift and pre-tension the belt (8 NM). If you've done all this before, things obviously move much faster and it becomes easier each time. In my case, I'm learning as I go, but I'm also enjoying the process as work in my man cave, listening to news in the background as I polish off a beer while I work. I'm excited to get Der Beemer back on the road. Thanks again for your support, you've been a big help to me.

Well...The 24K service is basically done. To get ready for a charity ride on Sunday I put the bike back together and took it on a 50 mile test ride. I must say...the bike rode great. So glad I did the service myself. I learned a lot about my bike during the process and confirmed something else I had already known....what a pain in the butt it is. LOL! So many panels to remove and put back on and lining everything up. If you own/owned an Oilhead RT, then you know what I'm talking about.

Nice progress. I’ve forgotten your whole plan but did you replace the hoses when you replaced the fuel filter. I strongly recommend it.

As for the panels, in a few years you’ll have it down to 10 minutes off & 10 back on.

Back