• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 Service manual DVD available?

brian_pnw

I’ve been looking and waiting for the DVD manual to become available for my 2021 R1250GS. I’ve tried two dealers in the Portland OR area and they can’t find a part number for it.

The BMW website shows it as an item, but no P/N.
Service, Miscellaneous, Multilingual for 2021 BMW-Motorrad R1250GS | BMW Motorrad USA (shopbmwmotorcycles.com)

This is the only P/N available.
DVD Repair Manuals R Models K5X - Multilanguage - BMW-Motorrad (01599831849)
2018-2020 BMW-Motorrad - 01599831849

I'm guessing the only difference is the Brembo brakes on my 2021 and Hayes on the 2020.

Anyone else have the new DVD for 2021 bikes?

It is a real shame on this.

Many people have a 1250 DVD as they were sold at first, then sporadic, and then not at all.

Not sure what BMW is/was thinking?

It will not stop a guy who has always turned a wrench from doing his own work.

I think it will generate minimum new business in shops.

Personally I see it as a slap in the face by BMW.

I also think it may be illegal but that will play out above my ride grade.

What if they try to say you can not fulfill your maintenance requirements if you do not have a official copy of the DVD, therefor voiding your warranty?

Not sure what the though process is on this but it is not good for 1250 BMW owners. I do wonder if they will do it on the Next Gen of the 1300 that is speculated about.

I guess I am lucky I love my old 1200 GS and had made peace with it being my "die with" bike. I have a BMW DVD, a JVB Productions DVD, and a Clymers for it, and after 8 years working on 1200's I am comfortable working on the bike.

It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth any manufacturer would sell a motorcycle and then keep proprietary rights on what you own. And I though it illegal to make you use a service or product to keep one from voiding a warranty?

I am familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act but not sure that covers a consumer on this issue or not?

There is a private made for sale 1250 Service DVD available here http://jimvonbaden.com/Shiftcam_Video.html
I can say this is a very good option as I bought the 1200 one on my first 1200 BMW.

Back in the LT series we had things like tech meetings and we would lay hands on to learn a procedure. Talk about a convoluted brake flush the LT was it! Only someone who owned and worked on one would understand.

My more then 2 cents worth on this issue.

BMW responce

So we are now FORCED to have our new bikes serviced at BMW to keep them in warranty. That's really convenient for a guy who lives 90 minutes away from the nearest dealer. Also a slap in the face for a mechanical engineer with 40 years of motorcycle service experience. I'll go to the secondary market for manuals, too bad the BMW service DVD was really good. I still use one for my 2009 GT.

The GS is a great bike, but after the service issue and the whole Hayes/Brembo debacle (delayed my bike for a year), this will be my last BMW.

From BMW USA:
Dear Brian,

Thanks for writing to BMW regarding your 2021 BMW R 1250 GS.

While we understand that you enjoy working on your motorcycles, BMW Motorrad no longer offers repair manuals for our motorcycles. We're sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

Please note, BMW Motorrad warranty and maintenance plans are only valid at authorized BMW Motorrad dealers. Our dealers undergo specialized training and are equipped with special tools specifically needed to care for your motorcycle. We also recommend that you continue to service your motorcycle at an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer after the warranty period ends.

Should you need to contact BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services again, you can reach us at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.

Stay safe and healthy during these challenging times, Brian.

Kind regards,

Abigail
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative

MAKE LIFE A RIDE.

FEEL EVERYTHING, FEAR NOTHING.
Build your own bike at www.bmwmotorcycles.com.

So we are now FORCED to have our new bikes serviced at BMW to keep them in warranty. That's really convenient for a guy who lives 90 minutes away from the nearest dealer. Also a slap in the face for a mechanical engineer with 40 years of motorcycle service experience. I'll go to the secondary market for manuals, too bad the BMW service DVD was really good. I still use one for my 2009 GT.

The GS is a great bike, but after the service issue and the whole Hayes/Brembo debacle (delayed my bike for a year), this will be my last BMW.

Note that in the US, they can not FORCE you to have basic services performed at a dealership. Most basic maintenance required - regular oil change, etc. - that does not require "special tools (i.e. BMW designed tools) can be done by anyone, and as long as it's documented. If it's fully documented they can not deny a warranty claim. You may have to FIGHT for it, but they technically can't deny a claim based on you changing oil rather then taking it to a dealer for an oil change. More in-depth maintenance that requires BMW specific tools... I'm not sure.

Note that in the US, they can not FORCE you to have basic services performed at a dealership. Most basic maintenance required - regular oil change, etc. - that does not require "special tools (i.e. BMW designed tools) can be done by anyone, and as long as it's documented. If it's fully documented they can not deny a warranty claim. You may have to FIGHT for it, but they technically can't deny a claim based on you changing oil rather then taking it to a dealer for an oil change. More in-depth maintenance that requires BMW specific tools... I'm not sure.

And, it appears that some tools are no longer available for purchase as well, try and buy the fixtures required to hold the cams to do the Cam Alignment check.

This was some Congressman's wet dream. While you are hiring some $250 an hour lawyer to write letters they have a whole staff of law clerks laughing as they prepare answers. Unless you can force class action status or can file in small claims court far from any city of any size you will just be spraying in the wind.

So we are now FORCED to have our new bikes serviced at BMW to keep them in warranty….

Thanks for sharing the letter. But that is not what she said. What she says is that if you have a warranty claim, you need to go to a dealer. If you have a pre-paid maintenance plan from BMW, you need to go to a dealer. And then says that they RECOMMEND that you get all your maintenance from a dealer.

Sounds pretty standard to me.

The big change is that BMW stopped selling service manuals and specialized tools. And so from now on, whenever BMW designs a motorcycle that needs some oddball service procedure, then we will all need to have a dealer perform that specific procedure. The cam timing procedure for the 2019-2022 R1250 engines is an example. I bought the cam timing jigs for my 2019 RT, and I remember thinking when I opened the box that these tools are weirdly precise and overly-specialized. My guess is that BMW feels that a threshold has been crossed in their design complexity, such that it doesn’t make sense (to them) to continue to sell expensive single-purpose tools to end-users.

This doesn’t mean that all maintenance will be beyond the capability of owners. For the foreseeable future we should be able to buy a new BMW motorcycle and be able to change the oils, and filters, and service the brakes, and change the spark plugs, and adjust the valve clearances. My primary concern would be that owners will need a source for critical clearances and torque values. Typically, we get those numbers from the service manual. I would like to see the MOA lobby for release of that information for each new model.

Cap

I am one of those who wants to be able to do more than just regular maintenance. I want to be able to change bearings, stators, clutches, hoses, coolant, fork seals and replace broken or damaged parts. Often there are nuances in doing these things that will only be found in the service DVD. Sure some things are going to be so exotic that only a dealer with specialized software or tools can do but that isn't sufficient reason to make the rest out of reach for those who want to DIY. I will not be buying another BMW if I can't get a service manual. I will not become an appliance rider.

I am one of those who wants to be able to do more than just regular maintenance. I want to be able to change bearings, stators, clutches, hoses, coolant, fork seals and replace broken or damaged parts. Often there are nuances in doing these things …

Me too. I also enjoy my BMW motos. We’ve been able to get great guidance from service manuals until now. And from now on, we’ll need to use other sources of information… like this forum.

Actually, for anything other than my BMW bikes, the first place I look for information is YouTube. It takes some skill to sort through the chaff, but YouTube is a great resource. For just about anything you want to repair or replace, there are a half-dozen videos on YouTube that show you step by step procedures. My guess is that professional BMW mechanics will emerge who want to build a following online, and who will generate additional income by publishing solutions based on their professional access to proprietary information — but it will be free to us if we watch the ads.

So, it’s a new world, not the end of the world.

Cap

I saw this article after reading through this thread. It highlights similar issues with some car manufacturers. I didn't realize there is a "right to repair movement" let alone the need for one.

https://www.wired.com/story/fight-r...5f0819-a689-43e9-9c0f-b0eb43980dde_popular4-1

Welcome to the forum!

Right to repair is a big deal. What is going on in Massachusetts is mentioned in this thread-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?100797-Repair-DVD-availability

Enjoy the forum.

Gary

BMW's aim has always been to be as proprietary as possible, even down to having their own nuts, bolts, connectors and electronics made only for them so that they are the only source. Not anything better, just proprietary. They are going for a monopoly as much as they can do while remaining in bounds legally. Not surprising, but pretty slimy all the same.

Service manuals

Lots avaliable 0n ebay. Purchased a indexed pdf of the service manual for my 12t0 gsa for $30. Took a few weeks to ship from Spain on a thumb drive. Could have paid less a d got immediate download but my internet is too slow.

Back