• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 R1200RT Windshield Motor

DANIMAL

Danimal
I recently purchased a 2012 R1250RT, having had several RT’s over the years with the electric windshield. After turning the engine off, the windshield should return to the lower position and when starting back up again the windshield should return to the previous position. While my windshield motor works manually with the handlebar button, it has stopped the previous function. I took the bike in for the 600 mile service and the dealer reset the programming. The dealer said if any weight is put on the shield it will stop working that way. They stated that several of the police motorbikes have had this issue because the officers will put their gear on the windshield or the dash. Well after washing my bike and the windshield the auto up and down function is lost again. Dealer says it is not covered by warranty. How is one to wash the shield without putting any weight on the shield? Anyone else having this issue?

My windscreen, after one of the earlier services, started doing that immediately. I did not think much of it and just motored on home. They must have done something along the lines of software update, because after a few days, it returned to normal (auto) operation. Give it time. IF not, take it back and have them address the issue for documentation, in case of warranty claims. Yes, should be covered by warranty. Tell them it is NOT an RT-P. Get BMW involved if you have to.

Weight? Really? What about the G-forces that hit it at speed, I mean really fast speed? If that were the case, wouldn't there be a limited speed to minimize the weight from wind pressure?

EDIT: just thought of this: Try cycling the shield up and down, then shut off. I cannot remember if I did this, but for some reason, I am thinking that the motor needs to re-learn the limits.

Quick FYI- you have "2012" in the body of your post...

Shy of you admitting that you beat it to death with a hammer or some other grossly abnormal usage- They are full of it about not being covered under warranty. Have your VIN ready and contact BMW about it. Record them. Give them the opportunity to make it right.

If they actually choose not to- then it's time to raise some hell. First of all- That dealer is literally lying to you. Second- Dealers do NOT make the final call on warranty decisions. Ever. The manufacturer does. If it comes down to it- a mention of possible violations of the magnuson moss warranty act will change that dealer's tune in a hurry.

Back