• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2021 Harley Pan-America 1250

Another case of unappreciated sarcasm.

I'm sorry my question upset you. I have never been on Face Book. I have never sent or received a Text. I don't have a so called Smart phone. Just this site and the Yankee Beemers and some google search stuff. But I'm trying to learn.
And I do want to ride the Pan-America.

I'm sorry my question upset you. I have never been on Face Book. I have never sent or received a Text. I don't have a so called Smart phone. Just this site and the Yankee Beemers and some google search stuff. But I'm trying to learn.
And I do want to ride the Pan-America.

With over seven thousand posts to your name, I thought you were being sarcastic. Upset? Not in the slightest.

Has anyone here put a deposit down on a new PA?

I did. After reading their terms and conditions it seems pretty safe and really doesn't commit me or H-D to much of anything. I'm sort of hoping they'll give me an early chance to actually see and ride one. A refund should not be difficult if I so choose.

A. bunch of the guys on the ADV thread have ponied up but $100 refundable seems pretty reasonable. I agree it would be nice for you to be able to see and ride one before you have to commit.

All valid points, but the HD customer has changed quite a bit in the last 10-20 years. The traditional cruisers are no longer the dominant bike, the biggest sellers now are the big touring baggers. Just watch a video of Sturgis and look at the ratio of cruisers vs. baggers. So I can’t imagine the guy in the leather vest, no helmet, and a set of ape hangers buying a PA. But I can imagine the guy with the $30,000+ CVO Road Glide considering it as a way to expand his horizons without leaving the flock. Much like a GS is seen as a touring alternative for a lot of folks in the BMW camp.

All valid points, but the HD customer has changed quite a bit in the last 10-20 years. The traditional cruisers are no longer the dominant bike, the biggest sellers now are the big touring baggers. Just watch a video of Sturgis and look at the ratio of cruisers vs. baggers. So I can’t imagine the guy in the leather vest, no helmet, and a set of ape hangers buying a PA. But I can imagine the guy with the $30,000+ CVO Road Glide considering it as a way to expand his horizons without leaving the flock. Much like a GS is seen as a touring alternative for a lot of folks in the BMW camp.

If the PA proves itself a good bike and I test rode one and liked it, I would get it before a BMW just based on the simplified maintenance. I'd definitely consider a ST if they made one.

I think you mis-characterize rider demographics...I get your point and, to some extent, it is valid; however, that guy with ape hangers and leathers- and vest with patches might also get into his roadcrafter for some touring on his R1200RT, he might even own an older naked Triumph (like a Thunderbird sport) or a Royal Enfield Himalayan for the dirty stuff. I am he...tee hee. While some you describe may not have exactly that stable, they are likely to be more flexible re: choice of ride than you you give credit for. I'm seeing enough interest on my Harley forum to convince me that just because someone's on apes and in leathers, it doesn't mean they aren't willing to switch up rides- and gear if so desired...In fact- judging by THIS THREAD I'm seeing some latte lifting "die hard" BMWers perfectly willing to try out and maybe plunge into Harley-world. I think we are riders first, brand loyal second. So many bikes so little time!

I think you mis-characterize rider demographics...I get your point and, to some extent, it is valid; however, that guy with ape hangers and leathers- and vest with patches might also get into his roadcrafter for some touring on his R1200RT, he might even own an older naked Triumph (like a Thunderbird sport) or a Royal Enfield Himalayan for the dirty stuff. I am he...tee hee. While some you describe may not have exactly that stable, they are likely to be more flexible re: choice of ride than you you give credit for. I'm seeing enough interest on my Harley forum to convince me that just because someone's on apes and in leathers, it doesn't mean they aren't willing to switch up rides- and gear if so desired...In fact- judging by THIS THREAD I'm seeing some latte lifting "die hard" BMWers perfectly willing to try out and maybe plunge into Harley-world. I think we are riders first, brand loyal second. So many bikes so little time!

+1 :thumb

If the PA proves itself a good bike and I test rode one and liked it, I would get it before a BMW just based on the simplified maintenance. I'd definitely consider a ST if they made one.

Current recommended service on a Harley is every 5,000 miles with an average cost of $400 per visit.

Current recommended service on a Harley is every 5,000 miles with an average cost of $400 per visit.

Is that on the solid-lifter Sportsters or on the big twins? Certainly they need oil/filter service somewhere around that mileage, but the hydraulic-lifter models would not need valve checks like the solid-lifter models would. 4 qts oil @ $16 and a filter @ $20 plus an hour of labor @ $115 plus shop supplies comes out around $200 so I’m wondering what is being serviced for the other $200. I haven’t yet seen maintenance interval specs on the new motor...

Best,
DeVern

Big twins. Hydraulic lifters.

That begs the question of what’s included in that service beyond oil & filter, trans lube, and chain checks. Unless the protocol has changed since I worked as an H-D tech, the hydraulic lifters don’t need any servicing unless a lifter or valve problem presents.

The PanAm engine is unit construction; no primary chain to check or adjust, so I don’t see anything that would need attention at 5k beyond fluids and drive chain...

Best,
DeVern

That begs the question of what’s included in that service beyond oil & filter, trans lube, and chain checks. Unless the protocol has changed since I worked as an H-D tech, the hydraulic lifters don’t need any servicing unless a lifter or valve problem presents.

The PanAm engine is unit construction; no primary chain to check or adjust, so I don’t see anything that would need attention at 5k beyond fluids and drive chain...

Best,
DeVern

I agree. I'm also curious as to what is included in this Harley service. Maybe they charge for the required attitude adjustment? :D
(Harley owners - please don't light your hair on fire)

Last edited:
Got to see the PA in Daytona and it looks better in person than photos.

I don't think looks will scare anyone away.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

link? that doesn't sound right...the 5k is but that cost seems off...also BMW comparo? Funny i do both my BMW and HD services at dealer and I can't remember! (kinda like how the body uses amnesia to block out memory of trauma)

I would get it before a BMW just based on the simplified maintenance..

The hydraulic lifters would be nice.
The BMW boxer engine has a lower redline than the Pan-America. Wonder if BMW will ever use hydraulic lifters in the boxer?
Would hydraulic lifters make the boxer engine wider?

Pan America being built in York, PA

<iframe width="1182" height="665" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hPiFtq4r6zQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The new man in charge of Harley Davidson seems like a good leader. Let's hope he can turn Harley Davidson around - lots of inertia to overcome.

Harry

Back