• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

### 2020 R1250RT Leaking Front Brakes After Recall Video ###

I forgot to eyeball the caliper brand on these at dealer two weeks ago
Have a feeling that they are not on the floor just to show off! Over two dozen RT-P’s!

7D8474CC-0794-4EFE-8813-EAFEC4D17C86.jpeg

8E34C100-381B-4BE9-BCBF-BF05EAFAA50F.jpeg

A UK rider pointed out that under the picture of the R1200RS is a note that after Dec 1 2020 the RS will ship with a brake system other than Brembo :(
The note is not on the US site but the US site always seems to be behind on updates.

2021 RS brake note.png

A UK rider pointed out that under the picture of the R1200RS is a note that after Dec 1 2020 the RS will ship with a brake system other than Brembo :(
The note is not on the US site but the US site always seems to be behind on updates.

Just looked - same note on the R1250R for the UK site. :(

Today I received this response from BMW of NA about the brake issue.

"We now have a remedy and are currently waiting for parts to arrive. Parts are anticipated to be available in early 2021. Again, our apologies for this unexpected inconvenience, and thank you for your continued patience, as the safety of our customers is of utmost importance to us. BMW will be moving to a new part and supplier for the front brake calipers."

It's not much but interesting they're not saying who the supplier will be.

Steve

This brake issue is crazy....how can this still be going on?

I was just in the market for a used RT and I decided to go with an '18 vs a '19 for this very reason....well, and the added technology around a shift cam motor and BMW's propensity to experiment on retail bikes/cars (the transportation version of Microsoft). I'm a bit surprised that the used market pricing does not seem to be fully reflecting the nightmare that this issue is for owners of the troubled machines.

I've been in the market for what I thought would be my "retirement touring bike" for the last year. I always thought it'd be the RT 1250 after enjoying my 98 R1200C for the past 17 years. Can't even explain how excited I was to think about riding out to Great Falls for the Rally on the new bike.

I still plan on riding out to Great Falls for the rally on my new bike but it'll be the Honda Goldwing DCT I bought 6 days ago instead. My confidence in the BMW bikes has been shaken with various stop sale orders, etc. Added to that is the dwindling number of dealerships options for service while out on a tour. The closest quality BMW dealership to me is a 3.5hr one-way ride in Kansas City (Engle Motors). I can't imagine having a 7hr roundtrip ride every time I had a pool of brake fluid on the floor...that is if I could even ride it safely.

I'll still drool at the RT's I see rolling down the road but I won't have that worry swirling in the back of my head if I have a unexpected service event. The R1200C will still give me my boxer fix!

Good luck to all on getting the brake issue sorted out!

Last edited:
Brembo's on the way! (?)

For what it's worth, my sales rep said the sales hold on in stock 2021 GS/GSA's (and I'm guessing other models and years in their stock) and orders from the factory are waiting on new Brembo brakes. I ordered my custom set up R1250GS Rally in October. Looking like Feb or March to get my new bike from Berlin.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a Window95 situation (the customer can figure out how to make an operating system work!)

For what it's worth, my sales rep said the sales hold on in stock 2021 GS/GSA's (and I'm guessing other models and years in their stock) and orders from the factory are waiting on new Brembo brakes. I ordered my custom set up R1250GS Rally in October. Looking like Feb or March to get my new bike from Berlin.

I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a Window95 situation (the customer can figure out how to make an operating system work!)

Post # 84 said BMW is moving to a new supplier.

The Brembo rumor has been floating around for a while. IMO it would be the quickest way for BMW to fix the issue. Having to work with another supplier means design and certification delays.

was contacted by my dealer yesterday (BMW of Burbank) advising that the factory is in the throws of replacing Hayes with Brembo for all the affected models of the recall. First batch of parts in January with end point of March. The dealer will even submit, or make an attempt to do so, to recover some of my cost since I had converted my Hayes to Brembos at my expense in November. I won't hold my breath on that, but at least there is some good will showing.
From my experience, that solution is still the best. YMMV

Back