• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 R1200RT Leaking fork seal

nyfty

2017 R1200RT. Can anyone provide the torque specs for the two clamping bolts on the lower fork cross brace? Also what's the volume of 10W fork oil? I need to replace a leaking seal.

After Action Report

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The R1200RTW makes it quite difficult to get the dust seal up to apply the Seal Saver. I happened to be in Kansas City and stopped by Engle Motors. I asked Ed the Service Manager what he would do. He suggested that I remove the front wheel, remove the vent screw and pull the lower half of the fork tube off. I was able to inspect the seal for nicks or tears, and with a lint free cloth I wiped any accumulation from the seal and dust seal. I was also able to wipe down the upper chromed tub to check for pits or scratches. none were found. Checked the oil level and installed in reverse order using the front axle to set to match the length of both assemblies. Test ride was about 120 miles and the weeping has stopped.

Airplane fix for seal

I have a plane that I have had for 30+ years that has had leaking strut seals occasionally. I have used Granville Strut seal a couple times and it has worked well. Of course, this is for aircraft hydraulic fluid Mil-5606 and I have no knowledge about how compatible the fluid and seals in the struts of a newer BMW moto are with this stuff, but might be worth a try before dissasembling your strut. Just to let you know, but if it doesn't work you'll just have to take the strut apart, anyway. No easy decisions. <aircraftspruce.com> Search for "Granville Strut". You probably need the smallest "kit" which means it includes an aspirating bottle to suck out enough of the old stuff and put in a proper amount of the Granville product.

Back