• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 R1200rt Rear Shock blown

New bike - 2 days - 200 miles - then broken in the shop for more than a month.

I'd tell them I want a different bike - they can use this one as a demo when they fix it. They won't agree of course since it technically would be a used (already registered to you) bike, so then ask for a loaner something till they fix yours.

I spoke with corporate care <--not they documented my concerns and will not interfere until I have the bike back in my possession to even consider some sort of compensation. BBB pointed me to AG office which I filed with. The Lemon law route seems a bit tedious I would prefer mediation and an outcome like you suggested or maybe something similar to what they offered the 2014 rt owners would even suffice. I love the bike its amazing but this nightmare has spooked the hell out of me. I am not a good angry consumer

1430 miles and I see the same thing

Looks like I have some oil on my 2015 R1200RT with about 800 miles on it. Off to the dealer. I decided to take a look after reading this thread. Everyone may want to take a look with this model.[/QUOTE

not good im glad you caught it. !!!! check your shocks

Just looked at mine and it has drops of oil in exactly the same places. That's a little different than the original poster reported so let us know what the dealer tells you.
Ron

“Motor vehicle” or “vehicle”, any motor vehicle as defined in section one sold, leased or replaced by a dealer or manufacturer after the effective date of this section, except that it shall not include auto homes, vehicles built primarily for off-road use or any vehicle used primarily for business purposes. Just my two cents. Found it in Mass General Laws and hate to see a brother in blue kicked when he's down or a least his bike.
Interesting, I tried it with a Suzuki that a dealer/Suzuki could not make run right. Bike was in the shop 2 months. All avenues that I explored pointed to no lemon law for motorcycles. Finally paid a Honda dealer to make it run right. I hope you have better luck than I did if you choose this route.
Gary

Interesting, I tried it with a Suzuki that a dealer/Suzuki could not make run right. Bike was in the shop 2 months. All avenues that I explored pointed to no lemon law for motorcycles. Finally paid a Honda dealer to make it run right. I hope you have better luck than I did if you choose this route.
Gary

I had a lawyer file under the Lemon law yesterday . funny thing happened today I got a call and they are pulling a shock off a floor model wow amazing its not the dealers fault they only do whats allowed by corporate . so I should be riding by this weekend I cant wait :) I have parts sitting here waiting to be installed including a top case.

Keep checking your shocks test them out with passengers as well change the ride settings i will be keeping a watchful eye on the new one . be safe !

I had a lawyer file under the Lemon law yesterday . funny thing happened today I got a call and they are pulling a shock off a floor model wow amazing its not the dealers fault they only do whats allowed by corporate . so I should be riding by this weekend I cant wait :) I have parts sitting here waiting to be installed including a top case.

Keep checking your shocks test them out with passengers as well change the ride settings i will be keeping a watchful eye on the new one . be safe !
Great news! Keep us filled in. I had tried the Lawyer part of it and it was made clear that if the dealer wasn't going to cooperate in a lemon law filing, it would be an expensive fight.
OM

Am I missing something here? On the 23rd you indicated a new shock was being shipped from Germany, then you call BMW Care Center and within a few days of that you pay a lawyer to "file under the Lemon law"? Gee, usually takes long then that to get in for an oil change. I question BMW corporate getting too excited over an attorney's letters, especially when your experience and time involved seem so routine for a breakdown/repair schedule. Sounds more like your dealer decided to go the extra for you. Glad it worked out for you, but a little different/ unusual path.

Am I missing something here? On the 23rd you indicated a new shock was being shipped from Germany, then you call BMW Care Center and within a few days of that you pay a lawyer to "file under the Lemon law"? Gee, usually takes long then that to get in for an oil change. I question BMW corporate getting too excited over an attorney's letters, especially when your experience and time involved seem so routine for a breakdown/repair schedule. Sounds more like your dealer decided to go the extra for you. Glad it worked out for you, but a little different/ unusual path.

-I got an email on the 27th from the dealership stating that the shock was on back order from Germany and would be weeks b4 one is sent

-I spoke to BMW customer care several times with no response other than we were sorry to hear of your misfortune

-I did contact a lemon law attorney to start the process as it appeared my bike would be out of service for more than a month

-I bought a new bike and I dont know anyone who wouldnt be upset if they had to return it to the dealer after 200 miles for more than a month. is that was the BMW buying/owning experience is supposed to be ? you think that is routine ?

-I am not outing the dealer but I can bet that the dealer would not be allowed to pull parts off another model without the OK from corporate BMW.

-corporate got their final repair notice and that shook the tree which prompted them to do what needed to be done. If a bike is returned or deemed a lemon they cannot sell it without reporting it to the buyer and thats not a good selling point.

the point is they should of done what needed to be done right away. forget that its a BMW that goes for any motor vehicle its good business

i dont think my response is unusual nobody should go through that type of delay

For the record I have never gone through this process I am horrible at being an angry customer. I had a rear shock go on my buell 1125r and it was repaired under warranty 1 week turnaround no complaints from me. I get that these are machines and things happen but a month out ? hell no

Am I missing something here? On the 23rd you indicated a new shock was being shipped from Germany, then you call BMW Care Center and within a few days of that you pay a lawyer to "file under the Lemon law"? Gee, usually takes long then that to get in for an oil change. I question BMW corporate gettroutine for a breakdown/repair schedule. Sounds more like your dealer decided to go the extra for you. Glad it worked out for you, but a little ding too excited over an attorney's letters, especially when your experience and time involved seem so ifferent/ unusual path.

Buy a new bike, 2 days and 200 miles on it, and then out of service for a month or two is not "routine for a breakdown/repair schedule". I don't have any idea about other dealerships but at those I patronize I have never, ever waited a month for service or repair I needed. And especially not for a brand spanking 2 day old motorcycle. And in this specific instance - facing an almost certain return of a motorcycle - I do suspect they did get a bit excited over the attorney's letter. They are not stupid.

.........{snip} I do suspect they did get a bit excited over the attorney's letter. They are not stupid.
I think this is great for the guy :thumb Suzuki (in my instance) received letters and couldn't have cared less- best I could tell.
Hopefully all the bikes affected get back on the road.
OM

Buy a new bike, 2 days and 200 miles on it, and then out of service for a month or two is not "routine for a breakdown/repair schedule". I don't have any idea about other dealerships but at those I patronize I have never, ever waited a month for service or repair I needed. And especially not for a brand spanking 2 day old motorcycle. And in this specific instance - facing an almost certain return of a motorcycle - I do suspect they did get a bit excited over the attorney's letter. They are not stupid.

Apparently the dealership offered to wipe it and ride it...how does that take it off the road for unknown amount of time? And you've apparently never owned a K1600 with dead water pump, if you've never waited weeks for a part. Maybe your high visibility gets you better than average service? If so, good for you.

-I got an email on the 27th from the dealership stating that the shock was on back order from Germany and would be weeks b4 one is sent

-I spoke to BMW customer care several times with no response other than we were sorry to hear of your misfortune

That is standard procedure, for them....you should have had a '14 model and gone through that

-I did contact a lemon law attorney to start the process as it appeared my bike would be out of service for more than a month

-I bought a new bike and I dont know anyone who wouldnt be upset if they had to return it to the dealer after 200 miles for more than a month. is that was the BMW buying/owning experience is supposed to be ? you think that is routine ?

It was too routine for 800+ '14 RT model owners. Sure it is routine to have even new units breakdown and require a part that isn't readily available. Not good, but it happens.

-I am not outing the dealer but I can bet that the dealer would not be allowed to pull parts off another model without the OK from corporate BMW.

Dealer doesn't need corporate's consent to switch out parts, but he will need sound verifiable reason to get reimbursed by corporate.

-corporate got their final repair notice and that shook the tree which prompted them to do what needed to be done. If a bike is returned or deemed a lemon they cannot sell it without reporting it to the buyer and thats not a good selling point.

the point is they should of done what needed to be done right away. forget that its a BMW that goes for any motor vehicle its good business

And that's not routine, to accept it for repair and await replacement parts...after they already stated it was operating correctly and could be ridden? Why not ride it till part came in...a lot of STOP RIDE NOTICE riders did.

i dont think my response is unusual nobody should go through that type of delay

Seems you may have initiated any delay by not riding the bike after being inspected for what appeared to be slight weeping, with their willingness to recheck in short order? After patrolling on a bike in less than I'm sure, common situations, I would think a weeping shock would be a piece of cake - no?

For the record I have never gone through this process I am horrible at being an angry customer. I had a rear shock go on my buell 1125r and it was repaired under warranty 1 week turnaround no complaints from me. I get that these are machines and things happen but a month out ? hell no

Good luck with replacement shock. Lets hope this isn't a systemic problem or you and a number of others are parked (again).

Last edited:
Apparently the dealership offered to wipe it and ride it...how does that take it off the road for unknown amount of time? And you've apparently never owned a K1600 with dead water pump, if you've never waited weeks for a part. Maybe your high visibility gets you better than average service? If so, good for you.

The leaking rear shock in my opinion is a safety issue one that I was not willing to take especially with the wife on the back. any shock experts on here willing to chime in ?

I just cant wait to have her back in my garage - I am sure allot of us who have owned bikes over the years have experienced extended down time at some point i just didnt expect it on a brand new ride.

Mr. Bootlick, welcome to the forums, thank you for your service. I'm glad your shock issue got resolved. Be safe out there brother.

Started the process

Called the dealer this morning and found out two things.
It'll be two weeks until they can even look at it and when they do I'll have to leave the motorcycle until the warranty process is done (i.e the document, get approval, get parts, install parts) because they won't be responsible if something happens, failure related or not. Oh and btw they have no idea how long that process will take.

Called customer service and it was like talking to BMW's version of a priest. (Sorry that happened to you and there's nothing we can do about it until someone we have no control over does something. Say two Hail Marys and be a good fellow. Don't forget to genuflect on the way out.)

I don't think this is a catastrophic failure now or even in the making so I'm not too upset, at least yet.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Anyone else starting this process?

Ron

Called the dealer this morning and found out two things.
It'll be two weeks until they can even look at it and when they do I'll have to leave the motorcycle until the warranty process is done (i.e the document, get approval, get parts, install parts) because they won't be responsible if something happens, failure related or not. Oh and btw they have no idea how long that process will take.

Called customer service and it was like talking to BMW's version of a priest. (Sorry that happened to you and there's nothing we can do about it until someone we have no control over does something. Say two Hail Marys and be a good fellow. Don't forget to genuflect on the way out.)

I don't think this is a catastrophic failure now or even in the making so I'm not too upset, at least yet.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Anyone else starting this process?

Ron

BMW's Customer Service is not worth the time. Unless BMW determines there's a major systemic problem (and that typically never happens or gets admitted to), your time will be better spent working with your local dealer and/or regional BMW rep.

Are you riding it till they get a chance to look at it? If so, did they state they aren't responsible in the interim, like they say they aren't after they look at it? Ya know, dealers (anyone) can say whatever they want, but until something happens and the legal-beagles get involved (if that even becomes necessary) - they're just flapping their gums. :blah

If all this comes to an extended wait, see if dealer and rep can work out a loaner for duration. If doesn't hurt to ask. My dealer stepped up when my '14 was in limbo, borrowed bike for trip and same offer was open if I needed for further rides.

Good luck.

WOW. After the 2014RT shock debacle, this is amazing. Another issue with the rear shock is the last thing I would expect to happen.

Back