• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 R1200 GS Adventure stalls!

esachs

Just wondering if anyone has this same issue? I LOVE my bike and have had basically zero problems with it. I say "basically" because every once in a while, while stopped and idling, I'll just give a tiny bit of throttle and she will stall. Happens at normal operating temp. I have a bit more than 2,000 miles on my bike and this has happened to me 4 times on separate occasions.

Anyone experience this? Any ideas re why this might be happening? I'm considering taking it in to the dealer to get it checked out but I'm torn. Part of me thinks it's just part of what makes my bike - my bike.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Torn?" Let me see...part of making the bike, your bike, is having it unintentionally quit running on occasion...don't quite share that line of thought. But Hey, if having it stall once every 500 miles, on average, punches-your-ticket, go for it. You can wait till you go to trade or sell it to get it fixed for the next owner...or just don't tell them about it. While you're at it might see if you can get a prorated refund for any remaining warranty since apparently you won't be using any of it...because again, whatever the bike does, just makes it even more "your" bike. Sorry I'm having one of those pragmatic days so I may seem short....and welcome to the Forum

Just wondering if anyone has this same issue? I LOVE my bike and have had basically zero problems with it. I say "basically" because every once in a while, while stopped and idling, I'll just give a tiny bit of throttle and she will stall. Happens at normal operating temp. I have a bit more than 2,000 miles on my bike and this has happened to me 4 times on separate occasions.

Anyone experience this? Any ideas re why this might be happening? I'm considering taking it in to the dealer to get it checked out but I'm torn. Part of me thinks it's just part of what makes my bike - my bike.

This is a warranty issue, your new bike should not stall. Welcome and thanks for being a member!

I would have the dealer look at it. There are a couple of things, very good you can deal with a "quick stall" and stay upright. I would be concerned that the stall may happen at a bad time such as when you have a passenger on. The added dynamics of the passenger will most likely change the results of a stall at bad time.
It would be good to hear back what the dealer found/finds.
Good luck.
Gary

No worries!

I apologize. I should have been more empathetic. I would follow Omega's thoughts on this. Might be a potential accident initiator...get it looked at.

No need for an apology. Thank you for your valuable feedback. I'm taking her in. I'll post the outcome. Thanks again.

I have a 2013 with 16000 miles. It did stall yesterday for the first time when I bliped the throttle in Dynamic mode. Started back up and won't worr unless it gets worse. The butterfly's open very quick in dynamic. We're you in this mode?

Yes!

I have a 2013 with 16000 miles. It did stall yesterday for the first time when I bliped the throttle in Dynamic mode. Started back up and won't worr unless it gets worse. The butterfly's open very quick in dynamic. We're you in this mode?

Yes! I've always been in dynamic mode when it happens and exactly - it's when I "blip" the throttle! It always starts back up right away and never gives me any other problems. It just feels like nothing is wrong with the bike but I plan to take it in and have then run diagnostics just to make sure. Thanks for your input! Makes me feel better to hear that it's happened to someone else too.

Happens to me

I'm glad you posted this thread. I have experienced this as well a few times. Especially in Dynamic mode. I have 9500 miles on my 14GSA.

Question for you guys are all your bikes still completely stock?

I put a full remus exhaust & booster plug & K&N air filter on mine @4000 miles. I have curbed my use of Dynamic mode a tad but I sure do love it!!! :)

My Bmw service manager told me that the booster plug would foul my plugs a little sooner than usual. So it got me thinking about replacing my plugs before my 2500 mile trip at the end of this month.

I have had the same problem on my 2008 R12GS, 2011 R12RT and 2013 R12 GSA. My dealer could not fix the '08 or the '11 but on the '13 GSA the technician reset all the computers values to factory specs at 12,000 miles and the bike did not stall again until about 28,000 miles. I just had it in for the 30 K service and the tech reset all the values again. So far so good. Don't know if this will help your problem but, it helped mine.

Not specifically familiar with these, but the symptoms and reactions seem to point to a computer issue.

1) The "Factory Default" settings may be close to "correct", but as the computer "Learns" and re-maps, an error is introduced, possibly a voltage offset of the Dynamic mode.

2) For oilheads, we have to re-register the throttle position sensor to the computer any time the battery is disconnected for more than a few minutes (key on but engine not running, slowly open & close the throttle a couple of times, key off); perhaps a similar action should be done in Dynamic for you guys? (Especially in the lower quarter of throttle movement?)

Back