• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 R1200RT Press Release

I wonder about the actual need for rain and road drive modes. I have always found my 06 RT to have one of the flattest power deliveries of any bike I have ever ridden, and therefore not difficult at all to control wheel spin in the wet. Unless the new bike has a much hotter low end kick, it seems that a reduced power mode may be on the bike merely to look good on the spec sheet, since the multi drive mode functions have become the latest trend on new models.

Having ridden the watercooled GS the power can hit pretty hard on the new bike. That's not to say it's gonna break a quality back tire loose at the touch of the throttle,but, dialing back the power in wet conditions won't hurt. Plus, all these driving modes are all the rage at this time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Why is it supposed to be on the left?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I also noted the new location and thought it will be
inconvenient. When using an electric jacket liner and
mounting/dismounting the bike from the left, it is better
not to have such a long reach to plug in. Most electric
liners have the cord on the left side for that reason.

Observations

Assuming there's no weight loss since that would be a major marketing point, but isn't mentioned. My experience with watercooled BMW bikes is the K line...had a K1200RS and just about cooked my left ankle in a July trip across Kansas one summer day. Current R1200RT has good heat management, hope radiator placement doesn't change that, but at speed appears heat exits will wrap fairing right at knee level. Looks like peg lowering will still be possible.

Last I read from stated figures is the wet weight of the new bike is 604 lbs vs the stated 570 of the camhead. That's quite a bit more weight if accurate.

temptation

After my wife recovers from her bone marrow transplant, and we get to do our twice delayed mc ride to Alaska, I might really go for this bike. But it would be hard to give up the carrying capacity of the GS. Maybe it won't be so good looking in person.

New RT.

I don't care much for the electronic gizmos and the wet clutch, nevertheless it's probably the most beautiful BMW motorcycle yet.
Unfortunately seems like 2013 RT was the last BMW motorcycle with signature kidney grille.

Last edited:
Quote from above: "I think I do better staying one generation behind the latest <model>."

When it comes to BMW bikes, I agree, a good rule to follow....for at least the first couple years.

Last edited:
Quote from above: "I think I do better staying one generation behind the latest <model>."

When it comes to BMW bikes, I agree, a good rule to follow....for at least for the first couple of years.

I tend to agree with this, but, on this one I think I'm gonna go against my gut.. I'm going this time next year I'll be taking delivery of one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wish it didn't have the music so I could hear the sound better. I'm hoping the bike will be really great, but after doing lots of research and thinking, I will probably be going with a camhead instead. I think I do better staying one generation behind the latest and I really like the 90th edition.

+ 1 on that, I really like the 90th edition :thumb

Any guess as to when we'll see them delivered?

I'm relatively new to the BMW bike world, but I have a short window of opportunity. I'll get one as soon as they're in the show rooms.

Last edited:
I'm relatively new to the BMW bike world, but I have a short window of opportunity. I'll get one as soon as they're in the show rooms.

The dealer here says they expect to see the first ones in the showroom in January-February. They already have the specs on what's to be delivered and all the early bikes will be fully loaded.

Its done

Got a loaded Quartz blue one ordered.... I'll miss my 08 RT.... loved that bike. But this one seems to be a worthy replacement. With all the electronics I will be getting an extended warranty though...that is for sure. Should see it in Jan or Feb. Wahhhhoooo looking forward to it.

Up here in Canada Jan - Feb can be a depressing time with all the white stuff and lack of sunshine. Least I got something to look forward to that will keep me going.

I don't care much for the electronic gizmos and the wet clutch, nevertheless it's probably the most beautiful BMW motorcycle yet.

I'm not so much a fan of the electronic gizmos but I like the wet clutch because a wet clutch replacement is a quick and relatively inexpensive repair that most backyard mechanics can do in an hour or two (if it is like a typical wet clutch).

I'm not so much a fan of the electronic gizmos but I like the wet clutch because a wet clutch replacement is a quick and relatively inexpensive repair that most backyard mechanics can do in an hour or two (if it is like a typical wet clutch).

The clutch is in the front of the engine, so it should be easily or more easily serviced.

Back