• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 r1200gs/w surging

DOUGLASRLAIRD

I have 14,000+ miles on my bike. It's had a surge problem in all gears between 30/42mph. The local shop can't figure it out and Motorrad claims they haven't heard of such a problem. I personally know of ten bikes with the same problem. Still waiting for BMW to admit there is a problem and then come up with a fix.

Have the shop check the the overhead cam alignment. It is a simple check by pulling the valve cover and checking with a straight edge. If it is off, it is about a 1.5 service to fix. Mine was having the same problem and my dealer knew about and checked mine and it was off. Defiantly idles smoother and the surging is gone. My dealer has done this on two bikes now with great results. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
Surge...
don't even say it

I had a 2002 R1150 RT that was a surger at the same speeds
I goofed around so much, too much, trying to get rid of the condition...
Valve adjustment, TB Sync, LPB, relay jumper, rider error for not riding it hard enough...

Great, I couldn't ride it sedately through the parkway in fourth gear without it bucking...

Won't even consider buying a WC now.
Guess I'll wait for the dual plug version of the water cooled.

Or maybe another brand altogether.
Some of the gadgets that brought me to BMW, and were exclusive, have become mainstream. ie: ABS, electronic cruise control, heated grips, adjustable windscreen.

d'milan

Cam Timing

I have 14,000+ miles on my bike. It's had a surge problem in all gears between 30/42mph. The local shop can't figure it out and Motorrad claims they haven't heard of such a problem. I personally know of ten bikes with the same problem. Still waiting for BMW to admit there is a problem and then come up with a fix.

Have the shop check the the overhead cam alignment. It is a simple check by pulling the valve cover and checking with a straight edge. If it is off, it is about a 1.5 service to fix. Mine was having the same problem and my dealer knew about and checked mine and it was off. Defiantly idles smoother and the surging is gone. My dealer has done this on two bikes now with great results. Let us know what you find out.

My 2013 GSW build date 1/3/13 had the surging issue at low speeds and light throttle. I obtained the required special tools to check and adjust cam timing. At 9000 miles I checked and sure enough the left cams were out a couple degrees while the right side was spot on. Using the tools it was a straight forward procedure to get the left side timed accurately.

Took the bike for a ride today to test any difference. It's like a different bike (much better) with no surging or uneven power anywhere. I also noticed the engine picked up a bit of power, had to watch the acceleration in low gears or the front would lift(I didn't experience this before). The bike now delivers a very solid power output though out the power band. If you have surging or inconsistent power output there is a good chance your bike is a bit off on cam timing. It's an easy enough procedure for the dealer to correct or DIY with the tools listed.

Alignment pin tool to set and hold TDC Part # 83 30 2 327 790
Cam chain tensioner and collar tools Part # 83 30 0 444 292, 83 30 2 339 885
Cam locating tool Part # 83 30 2 327 796

These tools cost about $290.00 from BMW. For me it was a good investment to keep the bike out of the dealer and insure the job was done right.

I plan to check cam timing at every valve check interval (12000 miles) which involves almost no extra effort. The precise timing can drift over time due to wear of components such as chains, sprockets, and gears in the cam drive. I want to keep that razor sharp smooth and consistent power flow I now have.

Glad to hear somebody else has had the same results! I have posted this about the cam timing in several places and nobody even pays attention to it. I to immediately notice a difference in performance along with no surging. I completely trust my dealer in doing it right, besides, Boxers are all new to me.

Cam Timing Good Result

Glad to hear somebody else has had the same results! I have posted this about the cam timing in several places and nobody even pays attention to it. I to immediately notice a difference in performance along with no surging. I completely trust my dealer in doing it right, besides, Boxers are all new to me.

Glad to hear you had a positive experience with your dealer. I mentioned this problem to my dealer and the service manager had a glazed look when cam timing was mentioned. I used to train technicians but I didn't want my bike used in the training. I figured the best way was to do it myself, henceforth the tool purchase and procedure research.

There's a lot of confusion with the term cam alignment and cam timing. Cam alignment can be good and the timing off which won't accomplish anything good. Both the timing and then alignment need to be accurate to get the desired results. Your dealer understood this, good for them and you.

Enjoy your finely tuned GS.

timing / schmining

I had a 2002 R1150 RT that was a surger at the same speeds
I goofed around so much, too much, trying to get rid of the condition...
I read and was told
Ya Gotta have..
Proper Valve adjustment, Proper TB Sync, LPB, relay jumper, rider error for not riding it hard enough...
Ohh, I forgot, ya gotta add a Techlusion 259
I guess I can add another excuse to the list.... Proper cam timing

I'd say my surging R1150RT was the most aggravating internal combustion engine I've ever owned but I have a Bargain Brand, 2 stroke Leaf Blower... it's a pain in the ass. Runs & starts pretty poorly. I guess it's the worst.

I wonder, if like the 1150 boxer, they'll
1. dual plug it for some improvement
2. come out with a 1250 Water cooled with a re engineered fuel management system / problem gone

So it's cam timing huh?
How often must the cam timing be checked and adjusted?

For the record, it's not all bad. I owned 5 R1200 boxers at one time or another. 3GSs and 2 RTs, Hexheads and Camheads, they were all very well behaved.

curmudgeon
d'milan

d, BMW fed such a line of c... to everyone on those 1150's. The bikes were just so lean they would not run. Some worse than others of course due to chance. You have five parts (for discussion sake) that contribute to fuel ratio and if all are on the lean side you loose. That was one of the reasons "they" said everything had to be adjusted just so. There were bikes that should have been bought back by the factory. No class. I still ride BMW's. And, my 2014 GS is the best running opposed twin ever.

Had an '02 1150 and yes surged. Bought one of those electronic doo-dads to fool the system, had dealer mechanic install it and ran great from that point on. I do agree, BMW screwed folks on that one.

I'm a booster plug fan for a fix that is easy and cheap. But, I think everything else needs to be checked first, the suggestion of cam timing seams on target and easy enough to check. My 2010 RT had the ignition reluctor timing off just a little and that bike would just stop while underway. The keyway in the reluctor was cut wrong by the factory (this isn't relevant but related).

I was told by my dealer it's not something they will check unless the customer complains about it. The also mentioned that a lot of dealers are not aware of the problem at all, so it needs to be brought to their attention so they can look into it.

Possible Fix

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Had the local shop make the suggested adjustments. Due to icy road conditions here in Reno (unusual for us) they did not test ride the bike after making the adjustments. I just rode it home and parked it in the garage as we get ready for some more snow. (So much for global warming.) As soon as we have dry pavement I'll get out and test it and let all know of the results. Stay warm where ever you are.

So they checked it and it was off? I sure noticed a difference in mine as it was a 3 hour drive to the service and then a 3 hour drive home....and it was a fun ride :D

Overhead Cam Alignment

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Had the local shop make the suggested adjustments. Due to icy road conditions here in Reno (unusual for us) they did not test ride the bike after making the adjustments. I just rode it home and parked it in the garage as we get ready for some more snow. (So much for global warming.) As soon as we have dry pavement I'll get out and test it and let all know of the results. Stay warm where ever you are.

Finally had dry pavement on Friday so took the GS/W for a spin. (BMW shop hadn't had a chance to test ride the bike after the adjustment but I wanted to get it home before the next snow hit.)

The bike now does not 'surge' at a constant speed (between 30-42) on flat road or uphill. There is still a very minor 'surge' on down hill roads between 30-42.

If BMW doesn't come out with a fix in the next few months I might have to try the $149 booster plug that's been mentioned. Are there any warranty issues?

Watch for the black ice!

Back