• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 R1200GS - GS Adventure side wings on a standard GS

dwestly

My last mod on my new 2012 R1200GS Rallye Edition was to add the GS Adventure side windscreen wings to the bike. I've done it before on a GS with the standard windscreen and it really does make a difference in the air flow into the rider area. It is easier to do than you might imagine:

IMPORTANT: Please read all the way through first, as the wings will interfere with full functionality of the standard GS windscreen, if you do not modify the windscreen as part of this process. This will require cutting a small end piece from each lower back end of the windscreen.

First you have to order the parts thru the dealer. It is not that expensive. It doesn't come as a kit, so you have to order the wings and fasteners individually. All told it comes to about $80 or so. Make sure the dealer gives you a screen printout of the fiche, as the parts don't come with instructions! Once you have those, the fun begins:

First, you remove the side panels and beak. Side panels are easy. Then, before you remove the beak, you need to mark the drill points for the mounting holes. The GS subframe is identical to the GS/A model, and the mounting brackets are already on the frame. You just have to look underneath and find them. This is what they look like exposed, and from underneath. The mounting holes are the two small holes on either side of the large hole, on the bracket raised above the subframe:

404044_3435403573513_968826502_n.jpg

527004_3435461614964_1705885996_n.jpg

Once you find them underneath, take a permanent marker and mark the beak underneath in the center of the two small holes on both brackets. Those will be your drill marks once you remove the beak.

After you mark the holes, you need to remove the beak. The beak requires that you remove the 3 fasteners on either side:

406258_3435403893521_1820395238_n.jpg

You must also pop the small black cover off the top of the beak, behind the windscreen, on either side. These are held in by small tabs that just pop out:

527100_3435404013524_499532205_n.jpg

Once that is accomplished, you carefully pull the beak forward, out of the back end slots and away from the front subframe supports.

Flip the beak over and you will see your marks. You will also probably have some black gooey stuff there. I think this is part of the assembly process, as it has no other real function. Anyway, you can clean it off or leave it. Here is the beak underneath, with the holes marked:

304681_3435476495336_261404017_n.jpg

Once you have the beak off and marked, go ahead and drill the holes, CAREFULLY! Start with a very small bit for a pilot hole, to prevent cracking the plastic, and work up to the size needed for the mounting bolts.

You also have to fit the clip-style retaining nuts to the subframe brackets. This is easy. They literally slide on into place (that's more of the black gooey stuff in between the mounting holes):

224235_3435485415559_1232442099_n.jpg

Now you are ready to remount the beak. Carefully slip it back into place, making sure the front underside slips into the two subframe posts sticking forward, and the beak sides slip underneath the fairing pieces. Line up all the holes and loosely secure the beak. You're not finished. You'll note that the wings interfere with the stock GS windscreen. To alleviate that you have to cut a small section off the lower back corner of both windscreen sides. The easiest way I found was with a Dremel, using a standard circular cutting blade. The corner comes right off, and with a very little sanding you can smooth the rough edges:

418673_3435506016074_1245285259_n.jpg

Then you can attach the wings, tighten the beak fasteners and then replace the side panels. Once that is done, it looks like this:

380404_3435404373533_1473742948_n.jpg

Once that's done, you're finished!

My dealer mounts them without removing the beak. They heat a heavy wire, coat hanger or welding rod, to red hot. Then come up from the bottom. through the hole and melt a pilot hole in the beak at exactly the right place. The drill the hole out to the correct size, slip the clips in from the bottom and screw the deflector on.

My dealer mounts them without removing the beak. They heat a heavy wire, coat hanger or welding rod, to red hot. Then come up from the bottom. through the hole and melt a pilot hole in the beak at exactly the right place. The drill the hole out to the correct size, slip the clips in from the bottom and screw the deflector on.

Damn, now you tell me! Where were you two weeks ago?! LOL

Back