• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 R1200RT Storage Compartmet Lock slippage

D

dbriggs2000

About a month ago I couldn't get my storage compartment to lock or latch. After a few minutes of grief I discovered the lock barrel had slid ever so slightly under the plastic. With my thumb I moved it back to the correct position and it works fine. However, the problem repeats itself every once in a while. Is this a problem for anyone else, i.e., is something broken that should keep the barrel in place?

Key barrel stuck under plastic

Attachments

• R1200RT Storage 1.jpg
    R1200RT Storage 1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 105
About a month ago I couldn't get my storage compartment to lock or latch. After a few minutes of grief I discovered the lock barrel had slid ever so slightly under the plastic. With my thumb I moved it back to the correct position and it works fine. However, the problem repeats itself every once in a while. Is this a problem for anyone else, i.e., is something broken that should keep the barrel in place?
Mine does that, too -- a minor annoyance. I just remember to push the button down relatively gently; when I do it fast/hard, there's a pretty good chance that it will slip under the lip.

If you ever have the tupperware off, you'll see that the lock is in a short side extension of the plastic storage compartment, cantilevered such that it doesn't have much support from below. Not a design defect, but not a great design, either -- it's not very tolerant of thumb "jabs."

I just posted a thread about a recall for the side cases for the latches..

Wonder if it will include a recall for this latch too.

I've only had that happen if the tupperware was not positioned correctly when putting it back together.

I would remove all the screws and try to reposition the panel to see if that helps.

Back