• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 BMW R1200RT oil change question

Service Department told me a Magnetic Drain plug was a total wast of $$.
I'd have a discussion with that service department.

A magnetic drain plug in any bike is going to give you peace of mind that there are no metal shavings or bits reaching your oil pan - OR - let you know when there is.

Personally, that information is worth the $10 or $12 a magnetic plug costs. Lessee, I ride a motorcycle that costs and is worth thousands of dollars. Knowing what is or isn't in my oil sump is easily worth the 4 cups of Starbucks the plug costs me.

I have to admit, I am still stunned at some of the comments so-called knowledgable service techs make.

I'd have a discussion with that service department.

A magnetic drain plug in any bike is going to give you peace of mind that there are no metal shavings or bits reaching your oil pan - OR - let you know when there is.

Personally, that information is worth the $10 or $12 a magnetic plug costs. Lessee, I ride a motorcycle that costs and is worth thousands of dollars. Knowing what is or isn't in my oil sump is easily worth the 4 cups of Starbucks the plug costs me.

I have to admit, I am still stunned at some of the comments so-called knowledgable service techs make.

I especially agree with Steve's last comment.

It was at the urging of my dealer Tech that I installed the magnetic plug in the first place.

I wish all BMW techs were a little more consistent on the advice they dispense.

But then, if they were, what would we debate on this forum?! :german

a few minor additions/comments.

*OP; your bike has 3500 miles since the last oil change. unless you are putting it away for the winter, you don't need to (nor should you) change the oil for another 3,000+ miles. waste of money, waste of time, waste of natural resources.

*oil on the filter gasket is not applied to make the filter turn more easily (as someone on pg 1 stated). it is there to provide a superior sealing surface for the gasket against the motor. you like leaks? me neither.

Last edited:
Steve A., that's because those people are cheap bastards. Thus the need to be cheap overrides common sense. Which ends up being the most expensive way to live.

I am astounded by the number of people who go buy one of the more expensive bikes on the market and then cheap out on every other aspect of ownership.

Next question, How much of the 4.1 quarts of oil do I put in initially. Do I just put in perhaps 4 quarts, start it up and then check the oil fill glass or do I put in the entire 4.1 quarts right away. I do not want to over fill or under fill the crank case and cause damage when I start it up:nono.

I did my first oil change and following some recommendations I've seen I just blindly put in 4 quarts. It turned out to be a bit high on the oil glass! So I would put in just under 4 quarts then check and fill to the top.

I did my first oil change and following some recommendations I've seen I just blindly put in 4 quarts. It turned out to be a bit high on the oil glass! So I would put in just under 4 quarts then check and fill to the top.

4 quarts works just perfect! IF --you drain out all the old oil, by tipping the bike left and right after the initial drain. I have always used this method and the 4 qt reflill just shows a slight meniscus at the top of the glass. It's not rocket science, and who wants to open another (5th) quart to add that .1 or .4 qts.
Get over it! 4 qts of oil is plenty :)

Back