• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 Rally!

Talk about culture clash.

----------------------------------------

Interesting comment from the 'Land of Fruits and Nutz' :hug

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

KBasa said:
:ha

Talk about culture clash.

We'd all love to see you dressed in your Oscar Meyer weiner suit replete with condiments.
:laugh

back to Lawrence, KS as a potential site...

I has the opportunity to spend the evening there this summer,
sipping microbrew at the local brewpub and chatting up the locals.
It is a splendid little college town with much to recommend it. Honest.
Especially after the sun sets...

I no longer rule it out as a recreational destination.

Darryl said:
Hope it's in Wyoming, I need any reason to ride good roads!

The best road starts at the end of my driveway!

BMWRA in Idaho July 2006 - two weeks before the MOA in VT.

Irene wrote:
back to Lawrence, KS as a potential site...

Did we ever have fun that night in Lawrence, Kansas USA!

But somehow I think it was the presence of IRENE more than the location that made the FUN!!!

Voni
sMiling
:groovy :wow

Fontana

Hey, I have a great site.

FONTANA VILLAGE, NC

Nice tourist facility with old WPA cabins and really fun roads up there.

The locals really liked the BMW folk back when we were there in '97, and after all the stuff that came down from our little "misunderstanding" we had back then, I would guess that the local police might want to treat us Real Nice!

Always thought that it was a wonderful bike rally spot---might be haunted by the ghost of the late sheriff when we are there, but I will bet that we will not have a armored troop transport positioned in front of the rally entrance or copters with loudspeakers flying around this time.. :huh

Last edited:
"The surest thing there is is we are riders..."

Plus, it would give the Tail of the Dragon website a second chance to get it right. "The rumors of harassment were not true"

Yeah. Right. Cool helicopter, though. :bolt

"Bad boys. Bad boys." :dance

Rev.Willie said:
Hey, I have a great site.

FONTANA VILLAGE, NC

Nice tourist facility with old WPA cabins and really fun roads up there.

The locals really liked the BMW folk back when we were there in '97, and after all the stuff that came down from our little "misunderstanding" we had back then, I would guess that the local police might want to treat us Real Nice!

Always thought that it was a wonderful bike rally spot---might be haunted by the ghost of the late sheriff when we are there, but I will bet that we will not have a armored troop transport positioned in front of the rally entrance or copters with loudspeakers flying around this time.. :huh

That was a great rally site, but was fairly full with the 1800 or so RA folks. Where would you put 8,000 MOA folks?
OTOH, we now can have a rumored 4 gang rumble, Airheads vs Oilheads vs Hexheads, vs Transversheads.... ;-))
Make that 5, remember the chain gang, nope, 6 we'll have the new 800's by then.......

DonÔÇÖt know location but I know where ÔÇô at a road race track.

The sites have big down times and thus have availability, camping facilities, usually have plenty of hotels in the area to handle race crowds, have tracks that could be used for an organized track day and road training, often have go cart tracks that could be used for a gymkhana, and often located in areas with entertainment and destinations for day trips.

I hear the Blue Ridge MC Campground hosted a Guzzi National. I've been there and think a couple hundred riders would overload that Campground. But the location is wonderful. Maybe the NC/TN area would be better for the RA - no really large venue and it would be much better in the fall after the campers go home. The size of the MOA rallies is really limiting the choices. I hope it doesn't become so large as to just become a Stugis/Daytona/Americade type of event.

M1ka said:
DonÔÇÖt know location but I know where ÔÇô at a road race track.

OK, I'll try a second recommendation: VIR (Virginia International Raceway) outside of Danville, VA. It is a "motorsports country club" with a wonderful road racing course, off-road courses, a mean go-kart track and a lots of beautiful camping areas. Just ask the folks who were down for the AMA Superbike races back in August (where Mat Mladin was unstoppable). The folks who run it are actually nice to the customers and the roads to the track would be enjoyable for us riders. It has the facility that could handle a good sized crowd and the site would be a lot of fun--many folks compare it to the Barbour track outside of Birmingham AL. (which is a good rally site too!)

However, there never is any "down time" at that track--there is somebody testing cars or there are track-days for racing groups about every day from April until Nov. A sports car group was running the South Track while the racing was going on on the North Track during the AMA races.

I agree with Bobmws that Fontana could not handle a crowd as big as a MOA National, but it is a great size for a bit smaller rally. I sure do wish that RA would try them again. :thumb

Back