• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 R1200rt tank bag suggestions

lstamp

I am looking for a tank bag for my 2005 R 1200 RT. Handle bar clearance seems to be an issue. The BMW bags lock in to the mount rail real slick, easy to get off for fueling. But the need for a bag may outlast my love for this bike. I'd like to take the bag with me to a new model. I am not looking for a small around town bag. Anyone with similar point of view speak up.
Thanks
Lew

I personally really don't like the looks of the BMW OEM tank bag, so I bought someone's old ratty bag
and removed it from the mount, which I think is outstanding. Then you can purchase almost any type
bag you like. I personally went with a SW-Motech, but there are dozens of others that would work.

I actually have two bags with two mounts and have a "city" bag, and a long distance bag.

smugshot_6323803-L.jpg

Repurposing RT mount

Repurposing RT mount is a great idea. Which SW bag did you show in photo. I have also noticed that bag width in the front may be an issue due to handle bar lock to lock clearance. Bag slopes are more often designed for GS bikes with steeply sloped to the rear tanks.
L

Repurposing RT mount is a great idea. Which SW bag did you show in photo. I have also noticed that bag width in the front may be an issue due to handle bar lock to lock clearance. Bag slopes are more often designed for GS bikes with steeply sloped to the rear tanks.
L

It's the SW-Motech "City" bag which is a little smaller than the "GS" bag. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-city-evo-quick-lock-tankbag-for-sw-motech-gascap-mounting-system

It occasionally activates a turn signal, but that's only when fully locked when I'm mostly stationary. It has never bothered me while riding.

Back