• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 F650 GS single won't start after replacing battery

dcattafesta

Hello to all. I have a 2005 F650 GS single that won't start just after replacing a dead battery. The bike ran fine before the issue with the battery and hoping someone on the forum can help. Bike turns over fine, fuses checked out, there's fuel in the tank. Checked all the obvious things like side stand, bike in neutral, kill switch and key, etc but am at a loss what to check next. I did try quite a number of times to start the bike with the dying battery, tried jump starting it as well since the 'dead' battery was not even a year old and always on a tender. Ultimately gave up and installed a new battery. It's my wife's bike and (sadly) sits more than it should. It had been run a few weeks prior.

Thanks in advance for any help as would hate to have to have the dealer pick-up and diagnose/repair the bike.

Welcome to the forum!
By "won't start" do you mean will not crank or cranks over fine but no "fire"?
I would look at the spark plug and the "new" battery connections to begin.
I also wouldn't feel bad about cycling the side-stand switch and the kill switch a few times. I'm not sure if, on that bike, those switched control "crank" or just "fire".
Gary

Welcome to the forum!
By "won't start" do you mean will not crank or cranks over fine but no "fire"?
I would look at the spark plug and the "new" battery connections to begin.
I also wouldn't feel bad about cycling the side-stand switch and the kill switch a few times. I'm not sure if, on that bike, those switched control "crank" or just "fire".
Gary

Hi Gary. Yes, bike cranks over, just won't fire. Seems like something must have died since the bike previously would fire fairly quickly and no luck now after the battery install. Thanks again, Dave.

Well then it may be on to the usual tests- look for spark and then for fuel.
Hang in a while, chances are there will be other Members with more help.
OM

How long has the fuel been in this bike?

Old rotten fuel could be part of the problem. Probably not.

The bike turned over with the bad battery but did not fire and now does not fire with the new battery?

Lots you can do if you replaced the battery yourself.

First thing I would do is go back in and see if anything is disconnected (like the fuel injector connector).

Next I would (while you have the body panels open) pull one of the plug/coil caps off a plug, put another spark plug in it, ground it against something on the engine, and see if your have spark when it turns over. (note if you don't have one of the tools to aid in removing the plug/coil cap it is going to take some effort - twist it back and forth and have great finger strength).

If your not getting spark then it could be a whole host of problems.

Finally, if you can be a little more forthcoming in your profile perhaps there is a fellow member in your area that would be able to give you some help.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Thanks Wayne. To be more clear, the bike turned over and fired/ran well before the previous battery died. Had it out a few weeks ago so don't believe fuel is the issue. I'll try checking all of the connections and look for a spark in the next hour and report back. I am located in Fort Mill, SC (just south of Charlotte, NC) and would certainly welcome any/all help or suggestions.

Thanks again,
David

You may very well still have a battery problem. When our 2007 F650GS had a battery going bad it would crank but there was not enough power to energize the ignition system. Just because it is new does not mean it is good. Do you have another battery you can hook the bike to temporarily just to see if it will start? You could try jumping the new battery, but if it has a short in it then even that may not work.

Reporting back after digging into the bike a bit more. All connections look fine. I pulled a plug and I am getting a spark. Air system also checks out so appears to be a fuel issue. Doesn't seem to be getting fuel. Is there a relay or other circuit beyond the fuses I can check? Anyway to test the fuel pump? Thanks.

Please excuse the question but does it have gas in it?

Does it seem like it is spinning fast enough while the starter is engaged to start as it did when it was running correctly?

Are the plugs wet from fuel?

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Hi Wayne. Yup, definitely has gas, battery is strong and turning the starter and motor well. Definitely seems like the fuel pump so went ahead and pulled the fuel injector to see if spraying any fuel and it was dry as a bone. So, pulled the fuel pump, tested it and it seems dead so ordering a replacement. Will reinstall everything once I get the part and revert back. Wish me luck! Thanks.

Does the F650 need a Throttle Position Sensor reset after the battery is re-connected, like the R1200 engines? (Ignition on, throttle opened fully and closed three times before starting) Failure to reset will not usually keep an R1200 from starting, but it will run better sooner if the procedure is followed.

Hi Wayne. Yup, definitely has gas, battery is strong and turning the starter and motor well. Definitely seems like the fuel pump so went ahead and pulled the fuel injector to see if spraying any fuel and it was dry as a bone. So, pulled the fuel pump, tested it and it seems dead so ordering a replacement. Will reinstall everything once I get the part and revert back. Wish me luck! Thanks.

David the fuel pump and carrier is quite expensive and only available from BMW as an assembly (like 450.00). I have had a fuel pump fail twice on my 650 (first one replaced under warranty-connection wires stressed) and was able to find an E-bay replacement of the pump only the second time around (does not include the carrier) for under 50.00. The E-bay replacement has been working great.

PM me if you have any questions.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Thanks for the suggestion. Am going with just the pump replacement and will reuse the housing/plastics from the original. Part is on the way and should be here in time to install it over the weekend. Just under $70 so definitely beats full price for the full/new assembly. Will be sure to post how it goes and ask for additional help should I run into trouble. Thanks again, David

Glad to report that after installing the new fuel pimp, the bike fired right up. Still need to button up the plastics and take it out for a full test ride but all seems to back to normal. Thanks for the suggestions/help.

Back