• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2004 R1150RS Fuel regulator

MOONDOG59

This is a continuation of a no start situation. Today's journey takes us to the deep, dark nether regions beneath the battery and Bowden Box, the fuel regulator. What a bear to get to. The maintenance manual illustration shows the regulator as threaded and the text doesn't state one way or the other. Is it threaded or just tight o-rings?:dunno

The pics from the MAX parts fiche and from my shop manual "infer" that it's threaded, but it is Not clear.
There are a couple of different regulators...
Go with "threaded" - even if it isn't, it should still twist to free the O-ring.
Shop manual pic attached as a Word doc., with the MAX page below. Hope this helps.

View attachment Regulator.doc

fuel distribuion & pressure regulator.jpg

Yea, same image I got. Even somebody with small hands would have difficulty spinning it. Is the regulator the whole assembly or is it in the "case"? Ti

Looking at the Max Parts Fische, I would not have expected any threaded features to hold it in. There is a clamping spring (05 - 13 53 1 341 694) that is installed in the fuel distributor (01 - 13 53 7 664 857) that I assumed held the pressure regulator (02 - 13 53 1 465 106) in place. Pics do not seem to have any threads. Disclaimer, I have never work on this part on my 04 R1150 RT, so no first hand knowledge.
2004 R1150RS FPR 1.jpg
2004 R1150RS FPR 2.jpg

Attachments

• 2004 R1150RS FPR 3.jpg
    2004 R1150RS FPR 3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 71
Remove the retaining circlip
Pull the regulator out. It will be tight as the O ring is dry.
A little WD 40 helps to get things moving.
The same applies to the injectors if they are original.

Looking at the Max Parts Fische, I would not have expected any threaded features to hold it in. There is a clamping spring (05 - 13 53 1 341 694) that is installed in the fuel distributor (01 - 13 53 7 664 857) that I assumed held the pressure regulator (02 - 13 53 1 465 106) in place. Pics do not seem to have any threads. Disclaimer, I have never work on this part on my 04 R1150 RT, so no first hand knowledge.
View attachment 90119
View attachment 90120

The maintenance manual image shows threads so just making sure before I destroy it. I am replacing it hence the question about which part was which part.

I have rocked it and tugged at it to no avail. Guess I am going to have to get nasty with it. Stand by :)

Looks exactly the same as the one I did on my R850R -- and yup, it's tricky to get out. You're working against two old and dry O-rings that have swollen from over a decade of contact with gasoline.

Hold the plastic distributor carefully in place while you slowly work the regulator out of its hole. Like GSAddict mentioned, WD-40 or PB Blaster will help. Be patient and work it back and forth many times. May take you a few minutes to get it out, but that's much better than breaking the distributor.

Back