• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1997 R1100 RS Fuel Lines Switched?

Good Morning and Happy Sunday to all!

Few months new to me, with 85k miles. Decided to add metal quick disconnects, and change the fuel filter. Tank off and brought it into my kitchen. Had labelled the lines with a Sharpie. Did my thing and happy I got that filter out! It was date stamped 2005. Cut it open and it was gunked grey and brown inside. (may explain my cycles lack of power?)
Put it all back together and replaced all the lines and clamps. So far, so good! Not so good. In my energy and excitement of restoring so many cruddy parts I cleaned off my marks! Going by memory, I think I know which one is the outlet (from filter and pump) and which one is the return (is that the right name?)

I decide to take it down and mount the tank, and worst case scenario, I can key the bike on and see which one spews. (catch it in a funnel and fuel can).
Haven't trimmed the excess tubing from lines from tank, and haven't clamped them back onto the bike's hard plastic lines. There is a about a cup of fuel splashing around in the tank I can hear when I'm moving it. I decide to pour about a half gallon of fuel I've got sitting there. Didn't really think it was enough even to reach the fuel pick up. Lo and behold, the fuel I pour in is just running out my unhooked up/uncompleted fuel lines. BUT, here's the weird part.

That fuel is running out of the line that I THOUGHT was the outlet line. Does that make sense? How did that small amount of fuel I put in go through the pump and fill the filter and then come out? Is this a clue that, that line is the return? Does the pump have a one way valve or anti-siphon valve somewhere in there?

If I hook them up in what I believe is the correct order, but it isn't, will that mess anything up?

It is Sunday, and I decided to take the day off and think about it. :banghead Any ideas/suggestions anyone has to get me out of this predicament would be appreciated.

I am not 100% sure if the 1150 tank is the same as the RS but I think it is. It's the same as my 1100 and BMW likes consistency in these things. Maybe this will help:

1150 Fuel Line Routing.jpg

Pictures always help! Yours, and I found another post just a ways down from mine with a handy little picture of the fuel rail/distributor. Where do you source those? Website parts fiche?

Also, spent about 2 hours reading other fuel line repair threads. FOUND ANOTHER CLUE! Dude talking about draining his tank and he mentions that the return line is the one which flows freely. I think I will try connecting them tomorrow and I'd put my chances at 85/15 of getting it right. Much better than 50/50! Haha.

For other folks doing fuel line work, I had one other surprising experience. Autozone had nothing when I asked about 'submersible' fuel line. Called a hotrod shop near me, and they didn't have anything. Both didn't know much about the subject, either. I think motorcycles are a mystery to them. Do you order it online? Should I have gone to the BMW dealership? The fuel line in-tank looked alright. After reading about fuel line problems and fuel pressure articles for 2 hour- I want to replace it!!! If I open it up next year, I'll have the correct fuel line ready and get it done for peace of mind. The Green Machine has 85k on it. Good to replace items when I have access and time.

pictures always help! Yours, and i found another post just a ways down from mine with a handy little picture of the fuel rail/distributor. Where do you source those? Website parts fiche?

Also, spent about 2 hours reading other fuel line repair threads. Found another clue! Dude talking about draining his tank and he mentions that the return line is the one which flows freely. I think i will try connecting them tomorrow and i'd put my chances at 85/15 of getting it right. Much better than 50/50! Haha.

For other folks doing fuel line work, i had one other surprising experience. Autozone had nothing when i asked about 'submersible' fuel line. Called a hotrod shop near me, and they didn't have anything. Both didn't know much about the subject, either. I think motorcycles are a mystery to them. Do you order it online? Should i have gone to the bmw dealership? The fuel line in-tank looked alright. After reading about fuel line problems and fuel pressure articles for 2 hour- i want to replace it!!! If i open it up next year, i'll have the correct fuel line ready and get it done for peace of mind. The green machine has 85k on it. Good to replace items when i have access and time.

napa!

We got one NAPA in Tucson. I'll hit it next time.
Hooked up my lines, correctly, thank you very much for the further information.
Used the two clamps that came with the BeemerBoneyard kit for quick disconnects, on the last two lines. That connect to the fuel distributor lines. The pressure line is a little moist! The clamps they sent are the smallest and the thinnest of the bunch I was using.:scratch not too happy about that. Going to run it around a bit and see what use and vibration do to it. Don't want to just keep on tightening it down. That can just defeat the purpose of the clamp, right?
The right side, below the edge of that tank is now full of wiring and tubing and clips and connectors and a busy little intersection. Just not impressed with the design of this thing.

Some things to remember when working on oilhead fuel lines.
- They are high pressure lines. Do not use stuff like the braided fuel lines used on older airheads which are gravity flow
- You need to buy submersible fuel line. NOT the regular stuff at all. It must be SAE 30R10 rated NOT 30R09. See posts here on this subject to find out more. https://tinyurl.com/y4maf5qn
- Most of us do not own Oetker clamps and the proper tool for dealing with them. We use standard clamps from our FLAPS.

Never use standard hose clamps on hi pressure lines. Use fuel injection fuel line hose clamps. They have no serrations and are flat so they don't dig in to the rubber lines and weaken them.
DO NOT use these ones:

:
shopping

Use these:

shopping

Even the drain lines must be submersible type. Here you do not even need clamps since there is no pressure. Just use zip ties. The black ones will last a very very long time in the tank!

Back