• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100RT windshield switch sticks down

oldcarman

On my RT my windshield switch, it likes to stick when pressed to the down position. If I press it a couple times it will pop back to the middle position. I removed the one Phillips head screw, holding the top of the switch assembly and now see a few more tiny Philipps screws that can be removed. If I remove these can the switch mechanism be cleaned and lubed, possibly with a silicone lube, or does it explode into many pieces? Thanks

Attachments

• 20191118_143647_resized B.jpg
    20191118_143647_resized B.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20191118_143634_resized B.jpg
    20191118_143634_resized B.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 87
Just use an electronic cleaner followed by a good lube designed for switches. It will seep in. There is no need to dig deeper.

When doing in situ work like that I always use a large white terry towel tied underneath to catch any loose parts that may fall out.
Saved my butt many times.

So far I have used CRC electrical contact cleaner spray and then CRC silicone lubricant spray. It is still sticking in the down position occasionally. When pushed down, it feels like the green switch pad actually cocks a little rather than pushing straight in. That is why I'm thinking I may need to take apart, but ill give it a bunch more accusations to see if the lube gets in. I looked up the BMW pn, 61312306058, and these assemblies are spendy, $260. Also checked BeemerBoneyard and Motobins but no used ones available now. Thanks,

In addition to cleaning, I used a little white lithium grease on the edges of the green switch and reinstalled. It seems to work ok now, no sticking. I also found a used switch on craigslist or Ebay, don't remember which, from The Parts Haus, partshaus@aol.com. I ordered the switch just in case. The business is in Long Beach California and deals only in BMW parts. He also doesn't have a web site so you need to look up the phone number. He prefers phone calls. Thanks for the other names places selling used parts. I'll add them to my list.

Back