• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1992 K75 Exhaust Header to Muffler Gasket Question/Advice

Hi, all. I am going through the mechanicals of a new to me 1992 K75 (Standard, I think). Pulled the muffler off to get rid of the heat wrap the previous owner had on it and polish it up a bit. Ordered the 18 12 1 457 142 gasket and received a roll of silver cardboard-like material (not certain what I expected, like maybe a cylindrical one piece something, but this wasn't it), so I have a question concerning proper installation. Does one use the whole length of this part? There doesn't appear to be any adhesive so how does it stay in place? Also, in the middle of this length of material it is...........not sure how to explain it.......broken/not consistent/wrong. I have included a picture. The black on the left hand part of it is carbon build up inside the muffler as I had tried to put that half on, and then thought better of it. Thought I would ask advice from people who have possibly done this before. Thanks in advance

Bill Yarian

Attachments

• K75_muffler_gasket.jpg
    K75_muffler_gasket.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 44
Hi, all. I am going through the mechanicals of a new to me 1992 K75 (Standard, I think). Pulled the muffler off to get rid of the heat wrap the previous owner had on it and polish it up a bit. Ordered the 18 12 1 457 142 gasket and received a roll of silver cardboard-like material (not certain what I expected, like maybe a cylindrical one piece something, but this wasn't it), so I have a question concerning proper installation. Does one use the whole length of this part? There doesn't appear to be any adhesive so how does it stay in place? Also, in the middle of this length of material it is...........not sure how to explain it.......broken/not consistent/wrong. I have included a picture. The black on the left hand part of it is carbon build up inside the muffler as I had tried to put that half on, and then thought better of it. Thought I would ask advice from people who have possibly done this before. Thanks in advance

Bill Yarian

I have purchased that gasket a dozen or more times since 1986 and they all came as a cylinder, not a strip. But I haven't ordered on in the past 5 years so don't know what BMW has done. Lee? Feeler? Any experience?

Bill,

Where did you purchase that? From BMW?
I got from Bob's BMW (I think). It was either Bob's or Bike Bandit. After looking at the picture you have of the part, and looking at pictures of the part online, I think I see/understand what may be going on. If you look REAL close your picture/attachment is of a tube.......with an end (not one solid piece). The one I have showed up somewhat flattened and that end had come loose. Not fully understanding that I should just place that on the header, I unrolled it. :blush. it unrolled very easily.

Guess I will order another one, to be safe.

QUOTE=98lee;1203537]
If your vin# ends in 013xxxx and it is a '92, it is a standard.
[/QUOTE]

The VIN does end in 013xxxx and it is a '92. Thanks!!

Bill Yarian

Back