• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1991 K100RS Won't Start

M

Mudbug

Yesterday, after work, my bike would not start. The battery was dead. I was able to get a jump started twice and rode home. I charged the battery today. It appears to hold the charge. So, I tried to start the bike but it would not start.

All the lights come on when I turn the ignition switch on. All the fuses are good. The horn works, the turn signals work, the brake lights work, the dash lights work. But, when I push the starter button, nothing. The starter does not turn over. I did hear a very faint clicking sound when I pushed the starter button.

I've searched all similar threads, however, I found nothing like this.

Anyone know what is wrong?

Several possibilities.

Maybe a bad main ground. Check at the battery and chassis ground end.

Also check the real voltage:

Key off?

Key on?

Starter button depressed?

If the battery is in the upper 12.x volts key off and over 12 key on, and doesn't drop below 11 button depressed it ought to start the bike. So ... if it is, then

Check the starter relay contacts - in the electrics box under the tank.

Also check the hot connection at the starter.

If you are getting current to the starter when you depress the button and it's not turning, remove and clean the starter.

Back