• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1986 k75 alternator brushes replaced: sharing how to YouTube link

Beemahdad

86 K75 vin 0114638
About 2 weeks ago, while cruising on the highway approaching the Port Mann bridge that connects Coquitlam to Surrey BC, my tach suddenly and I mean suddenly plunged from 5500 rpm as I approached the bridge deck. Wasting no time, I quickly pulled to the side as cars and trucks past me and my poor Brick. The bike had no power and my thoughts quickly led me to believe dead alternator. A few hours before, I noticed the voltmeter showed less than 10v and my over-confident self thought I had enough battery juice to get me home after my doctors appointment. Suspecting the bike would not start if I parked in the underground parkade, I wisely found the top of a steep hill a few blocks away to park so I could bump start the Brick after the appointment.

After dying on the highway and letting my family know I was ok but would be late getting home, I called for emergency road service. Kudo's for the Platinum emergency BMW road service as I got a free tow home. That's two tows in the last year so I want to say thanks to our BMWMOA association for providing great value for its members.

The intent of this post is that while I ordered a used alternator from eBay, it would be about 7-10 days before I would get the unit delivered and home for me to replace. Deciding a little research may not hurt, I stumbled on this YouTube link that tells and shows how to replace the brushes on Bosch alternators. Removing the regulator to access the brushes was dead easy and I found mine were well under the recommended minimum of 5mm. Mine were 3mm.

The hardest part for me was driving from one end of town to the other showing my used brushes and regulator trying to locate replacement brushes. I literally went to the final shop before finding the brushes and got a pair for ten bucks.

Here's the link
http://youtu.be/bTcMD5_EznI

Thanks for the link.

I added this to the Tech Library above.:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
On my K75S the brushes wore out (as in STOPPED charging) around 110,000 mi. Now they are list of things I check on the bikes I work on if theyy have over 80,000mi.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Back