• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1977 R100S Metallic Red - Pinstriper Signature?

jchussey

For anyone here who has a 1977 R100S in original metallic red with gold pinstripes - cold you tell me if there are pinstriper's initials in gold on the tank and seat cowl?

Attachments

• 20220905_071349.jpg
    20220905_071349.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20220907_082414.jpg
    20220907_082414.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 135
I never found any initials on my/7 tank. I did find what I think to be the pinstripers initials on the bottom my R69S tank.

My ‘72 /5 had initials under the tank. At least I thought they were initials, but they were unrecognizable as actual letters. Maybe the painter just used the underside to test prep the brush?

The reds of that era sun faded quickly, many noticeably within just a couple of years, and the gold pin striping was easily polished off. Your bike looks perfect, so I doubt it is original paint.

Not sure but

I am not sure but I think the pinstripe artists quit initialing tanks at the end of the /2 or as late as /5 models. I don't recall seeing anything on my RS or RT tanks. St.

My 84 R100CS LE had them under the tank, behind the seam and under, by the rear of the tank. Nothing on the cowl.

My 77S has initials underneath the front fender and inside the fairing. Nothing on the tank or seat cowl.

On a 76S the initials were inside the fairing. On another 76 R90S - nothing anywhere.

I’m just guessing here but my guess is that the painters had the option of signing or not signing their work and choosing where to put their initials. That’s the only conclusion I can come to after seeing the initials all over the place or no place at all.

Back