• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1976 R75/6 Front Fork question

radar41

Beemerphan
Hello fellow Airheads,

I have the front forks apart from the R75/6 currently undergoing rebuild.

In the photo, the "whiteish" part on the left is the one which is the mystery?? Looking at the IPB I think it goes in just before the spring and acts as a "bumper" for the spring, but NOT sure.

100_3410.jpg

Help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It looks to me that you have it in the correct location/orientation in your second picture. If memory serves from when I rebuilt my forks, it just "sits" down in the bottom of the fork slider. If you look at the online parts fiche (MAX BMW: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx), you can see it referenced along with the assembly pattern. Yours is definitely yellowed and brittle looking- best to replace these while you have it apart, I think...

Unknown "bumper"

Jim,

I know the large one goes in the bottom as you said.

It's the smaller one I'm not sure of (left one in the photo).

There was a small one in the fork originally, because I cleaned out the "bits" :)???

My theory - it's # 7 in the IPB, which would mean the spring sets on top it.

However would like to know for sure before reassembling the forks.

Last edited:
Hi Don,
I see now... I think that one is number 9 or 10 ("ring") in the parts fiche diagram. I think number 7 is a steel bushing. I do recall having both the large bumpers, and the smaller ones. I do recall that there was a small bumper (like in your photo) that went under the smaller spring threaded onto the top of the damper rod (I guess to serve as a bumper when the fork is completely extended). It's been awhile since I've had mine apart, maybe someone else on the forum is more familiar- sorry I can't be more helpful. :dunno

Don -

I wondered about posting things directly from Tom...I thought you might summarize his response. I've done direct postings of Tom's things before off the Airlist. I recently read an Airlist post of his, about 2-3 months ago, where he says he does not authorize people to repost his stuff. That troubles me somewhat, although I might understand where he's coming from. I intend to email him and get a general clarification on that.

Answer

Don -

I wondered about posting things directly from Tom...I thought you might summarize his response. I've done direct postings of Tom's things before off the Airlist. I recently read an Airlist post of his, about 2-3 months ago, where he says he does not authorize people to repost his stuff. That troubles me somewhat, although I might understand where he's coming from. I intend to email him and get a general clarification on that.

Kurt,

Tom has been a BIG help to me over the years, so I pinged him and he said "post away" so here is his response:

"Don-

The white plastic ring goes below the damper piston. up into the fixed tube before you thread in the pair of threaded rings that hold thefloating damper. Use whatever method you select to get the damper piston up past the threads, then give it a push up about three inches.Next, push that white ring up on the damper rod, and use a piece of tubing to shove it up past the threads. Now insert the first threadedring, concave facing DOWN.

Next install the aluminum damper ring, then the other threaded ring, concave facing UP, so that the aluminum dampercan float free between the two threaded rings. Next install the retaining circlip, square edge DOWN.

The threaded rings do not have tobe super tight, just snug them into place. You can push the damper rod WAY up in the fixed tube to allow use of a square piece pof bar stockinto the notches to snug it in. The yellowish larger bumper (right side in your photo) goes in the verybottom of the slider, round side DOWN.

--Tom CutterYardley, PAwww.RubberChickenRacingGarage.com"

Last edited:
Back