• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1972 BMW R75/5 - Wheel Bearing Stack

b25bsaboy

Good afternoon,

Feel kinda stupid in having to come and ask about bearing introductions when stacked to the wheel hub! Took everything carefully apart, took pictures (so I thought) put it all back to gather and when I put it into the wheel truing device, everything feels like its binding when snugged up to spin the rim. Does anyone out there have a picture showing the correct sequence and directional for the front and rear wheel?

I have found a number of photos on line, but after studying them there is something missing or one to many spacers. The BMW parts catalog is of some help, but it to misses the point. Now to add to insult to injury the BMW shop manual is totally useless, because its written with the idea you already know all this! :-(

Looked at a number of very informative sits but are usually around later models of the airheads.

Did you look at Duane Ausherman's site:

https://w6rec.com/the-5-wheel-bearings/

He has a picture for the /6 but it should be pretty much the same. Sounds like you're missing something...when the pressure is applied to the bearing stack, it collapses against itself and binds.

Did you look at Duane Ausherman's site:

https://w6rec.com/the-5-wheel-bearings/

He has a picture for the /6 but it should be pretty much the same. Sounds like you're missing something...when the pressure is applied to the bearing stack, it collapses against itself and binds.

Thank you Kurt,What was missing after it dawned on me the that the top hat spacers were in backwards. The flat top of the spacer has to be on the outside so that the hub cap sits flush with the top hat and not the other way round. Some of the photos that I came across have it the other way round. On Duane Ausherman’s site it shows this and I thought it was wrong, only I was wrong! :bottle:banghead

Back