• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'12 R1200GS Does anyone know what this wire is?

paddlermikem

I just got a new-to-me R1200GS. Does anyone know what this wire is? It hangs loose in the space behind the oil radiator, beside the top of the left (seated on the bike) fork tube.20161023_180443[1].jpg

Previous owner had a GPS? Looks like the aux power lead that if not used is secured to frame in that location.

Previous owner had a GPS? Looks like the aux power lead that if not used is secured to frame in that location.

Hmm, that could be. My older Garmin has a much smaller wire but I'm not familiar with the newer ones. How bout tire pressure sensor? I see in the service papers I received with the bike that a sensor was installed but I don't see the data on the computer... unless I just don't know how to bring up the data. I assume it should show up as I scroll through with the info button.

It's the GPS connector. Provides ground, switched +12V, and a speed signal. The matching plug is part 83300413585 if you want to tap into it without a BMW GPS. It is on the same circuit as the accessory socket(s). Tape it off to keep it dry you are not using it.

It's the GPS connector. Provides ground, switched +12V, and a speed signal. The matching plug is part 83300413585 if you want to tap into it without a BMW GPS. It is on the same circuit as the accessory socket(s). Tape it off to keep it dry you are not using it.

Thanks. That would be handy. Do other GPS units use the speed signal or would it just be to tap the power?

Just to tap the power. As far as I know, the speed signal is not used by any GPS other than the BMW branded Navigator series. Since the NAV units also work without that signal, I really don't know why that wire is even present.:scratch

On the bike side of the connector the wiring colors are as follows:
(1) Brown = ground
(2) Blue/Green = Speed Pulse
(3) Red/White = 12V

The matching plug (also known as a repair connector) comes with three yellow wire leads attached. You can identify the yellow wires using the numbers(1,2,3) molded into the plastic plug next to the pins.

Back