• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1150RT aftermarket high-beam

HFD190

I am attempting to increase my night-time safety and viability, IE: trying to avoid the deer I have been considering adding on some aux lighting like the PIAA 1100s. First, I thought that I would just upgrade the high-beam bulb to one of PIAAs aftermarket H3 extreme white or super plasma bulbs. Save some $, ease of installation, etc. I am also one who likes to avoid a lot of aftermarket add-ons

I would appreciate any advice from those who have experience with those particular bulbs. Where there any problems with power consumption / fuses, etc? And also were you satisfied with the increased night-time visibility, or was the night lighting about the same as the factory bulb?

Thanks!

I recently changed the lo/hi bulb in my 94 R1100RS to a PIAA violet-white hi-output bulbs and am pleased with the additional illumination it gives me. The hi-beam is especially more effective, and the whiter/cleaner light of the low beam seems to give me better definition of what's ahead at night.

I also added some cheapo driving lights to add "fill in" light along the shoulders and ditches and give me a broader dispersion of light than I get with the stock headlight reflector and lense.

You have to keep in mind the bulk of a headlight's effectiveness depends on the design of the lense and reflector, not so much the bulb itself. In the past I used an 80/100 watt output bulb in the headlight and did not get much more effective lighting. Now with the PIAA replacement bulb I feel I have made some gains in visibility, both for me and other road users. The violet/white color really stands out in the crowd of standard bulb colors on the road today.

Probably the best standard bulbs are the Philips Vision Plus and the European Osram Silver Star. Avoid the Sylvania Silver Star. It has a light blue tint and short service life.

Probably the best standard bulbs are the Philips Vision Plus and the European Osram Silver Star. Avoid the Sylvania Silver Star. It has a light blue tint and short service life.

hahha, dang

i just bought a H1 and H7 Sylvania replacements for my bike today, i liked the white light after my friend switched to a zenon bulb in his triumph. we'll see how long they go for, then i'll upgrade to a higher wattage white bulb that they don't sell at autozone:banghead

Back