• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headlight Gremlin

tatonka

2003 1150RT with 85k. I bought this bike new. In 2005 a buddy riding in front of me told me my low beam was "turning off and later coming back on." That was the beginning. Over the years I've gone through multiple low beam bulbs, trips to the shop, always with some minor thing discovered such as "a little corrosion on the connector," getting it back on. Got it working in April this year and it stayed on until I left on my 6600 mile round trip to Billings. Day two in Starkville, MS no low beam. I did almost the entire trip with high beam and running lights and avoided night riding. Upon return, dealer had it a whole day, put two techs on it. I was told there is 12 volts at the headlight connector, but when plugged into a brand new bulb...nothing. I was told to bring it back and leave it for "an extended look." He wants to take apart the headlight assembly. Anybody else have this problem?

I agree, if you have 12 volts all the way to the bulb then you are looking at a grounding issue. These guys are techs where? Tracing down a ground issue can make you talk to yourself, but I will just about bet the farm that is your issue. I would give the hi/low beam switch a serious look also.

I was told there is 12 volts at the headlight connector, but when plugged into a brand new bulb...nothing.

We need to know where the tech hooked up the ground side of his voltmeter before we can say it is a ground problem. If there is a very high resistance in the plus side of the circuit and a good ground he would get the same results.

The high beam uses the same ground as the low beam, so that's not likely the problem.

The problem is more likely in the high/low selector switch.

Power to this switch is a yellow/white wire, do that's not likely the problem either. Out of the switch is yellow for low and white for high. In any event it's probably internal switch contacts.

My weird headlight issue turned out to be dirty/corroded pins/sockets in the multi-wire connector located
to the upper right of the light assembly.
A real pain to get to.

Back