• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'02 K1200RS Brake Warning Light

Their entire reason for existence is to answer the question no one has asked: how do you reduce the required braking effort? BMW's move away from the power brakes in subsequent bikes tells us all we need to know.

No, the reason was to reduce the system response time and it did a very good job at that. Time goes on, technology gets better, and they could get the results they wanted without the pump assist.

No, the reason was to reduce the system response time and it did a very good job at that. Time goes on, technology gets better, and they could get the results they wanted without the pump assist.

I'd argue we are both right.

In BMW's own words:
Overall, the combination of EVO front brakes and Integral ABS provides even
lower effort, quicker response, lighter weight and better braking distribution
than any other system, including BMW's own, much-lauded ABS II. The new setup
not only lowers lever effort and response time, but it also reduces overall
weight of the ABS by 20 percent.
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa/...t-model-year-2002:-motorcycles?language=en_US

My 00K1200RS has 124k. It sports the original abs pump.
I have had the dealer renew the brake fluid.
It’s costs but mine had lasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently waiting to get the unit rebuilt. Place in Idaho will start doing rebuilds for my bikes' series of ABS pump next month, just waiting for the appropriate parts to come in. Hopefully the Brick will be back on the road by early April. Just have to be patient till then. The service dept. at Brown BMW has been a great help in getting the bike fixed and looking for viable options for me. Thank you.

Place in Idaho will start doing rebuilds for my bikes' series of ABS pump next month, just waiting for the appropriate parts to come in. .

Good to hear Modulemaster will finally be able to repair iABS units.

Good to hear Modulemaster will finally be able to repair iABS units.

That repair service has been promised for a looooong time but has not gone active yet. In the past, the reason given has been lack of parts availability. I do hope that’s resolved and MM can start doing the repairs as I have a friend with a dead ABS unit on an R1100RS. I’ll be watching how this progresses...

Best,
DG

as I have a friend with a dead ABS unit on an R1100RS. I’ll be watching how this progresses...

That bike has ABS2 which I think they have been repairing the whole time. They have done many ABS2 units for me, as well as iABS2 (2007-on) one of which is on the way back from them now.

That bike has ABS2 which I think they have been repairing the whole time. They have done many ABS2 units for me, as well as iABS2 (2007-on) one of which is on the way back from them now.

Sorry, I mistyped that—I need to better proofread my posts before hitting the “post” button. Bike is a 2004 R1150RS, two-tone gray and tan colored. He’s been communicating with MM for 3 years or more on that iABS system.

Best,
DeVern

A poster over on bmwsporttouring.com shared this iABS (aka ABS3) status report from ModuleMasters on February 1:

You've been added to the waiting list! Here's the latest update-

Happy New Year everyone and thank you for hanging in there while we developed a rebuild service for the iABS! In short we're done testing and we're waiting on parts to be finished and delivered. Here's the breakdown-

Q: What's been done?
A: Seals, fasteners and pump hardware have been produced. These parts as well as pressure sensors and motors have been tested and approved.

Q: What's left to do?
A: Get motors, pressure sensors and pressure sensor transducer IC's manufactured.

Q: How long will that take?
A: Each part has a different time frame. We're still trying to get more exact dates from the manufacturers. Here's where they were at as of the end of December.
Motors: Mid March
Pressure sensor transducer IC's: Potentially April. There weren't enough of these available in the USA, so they had to be ordered manufacturer direct with a 16 week lead time. These have been purchased and we're trying to see if the factory can get them produced sooner.
Pressure sensors: Originally told by the manufacturer they would arrive in December. Currently seeking a status update
Q: What's going to happen before the parts arrive?
A: We'll be finishing up our tooling for rebuilding the modules, writing up information for iABS instructions and will begin to pre-build the cores we've acquired. Also, we'll be producing a document of pre-ship information that will include what to remove, how to remove it and how to package the module. Info sheets will also be made detailing recommendations on re-installing, brake fluid type, batteries, bleed procedures, cleaning products (there will be messes) and what to do with problems on re-install. We will try to have these documents available to the waiting list folks before the rebuilds begin.

Q: How much will the rebuild cost when it's available?
A: $750 It will also include our 5-year warranty.

Q: What will the rebuild include when it's available?
A: New motors, new pumps, new pump seals (as well as other various seals), various new fasteners, new pressure sensors and a rebuilt electronic control unit. The unit will also be completely dismantled, cleaned, rebuilt and then tested (full hydraulic and electronic test).

Q: Will a core exchange be available?
A: Uncertain. We do have cores and intend to offer an exchange at some point but have not worked out any of the details yet. The non CAN-bus cores should be easy to exchange, but the CAN bus cores may require coding. We'll be doing more research to make the process as easy as possible.

A big thanks again to everyone who's been waiting. Updates will come every two weeks or so. We'll try and include some pictures of the process and things we encounter as we move forward.

Sincerely,

The ModuleMaster Team

Module Masters ( https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/ ) has started and is doing rebuilds on this series ABS pump. Even though their web site stays currently under development, they are rebuilding the pump on my K bike now. Hopefully will be back on the road next week. More to come... :thumb

The rebuild of the ABS module by Module Masters is done. Bike back together and on the road again. :thumb

While this took longer than I anticipated, many thanks to Module Masters for their work. And many thanks to Brown Motor Works of Pomona and their staff for seeing this repair to the end.

Back