• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Brake_2006 R1200 GSA

Neutral Wan
Mike here in MN with a new-to-me 2006 R1200 GSA, please forgive if a similar thread already exists.

Front brakes perform great, rear brakes are not working at all...

Dirty Details:

• GEN 1 ABS
  • General warning light flashes red 1x per second, ABS warning light flashes 1x per second (upon power-up)
  • I cannot seem to get any fluid movement at the rear brake reservoir (performing a typical brake-bleed)
  • Moto runs great, simply has no rear brakes!
This is my first ABS system motorcycle, so a bit different than the airheads already in the stable!

Thinking rear master cylinder at first read.
We’re the lights flashing during a ride? The earlier 1200’s had the powered pump and changed in ‘07 to next generation. If that older pump, you cannot bleed reservoir to caliper directly, have to also bleed at pump.

Steve,

Thank you for your fast and helpful response--the respectful & helpful attitude of the bmwmoa is truly appreciated.

We’re the lights flashing during a ride?

Yes, the warning lights continue to flash while riding

The earlier 1200’s had the powered pump and changed in ‘07 to next generation. If that older pump, you cannot bleed reservoir to caliper directly, have to also bleed at pump.

Nice catch, might there be a way to determine rear master cylinder issue vs. pump issue?

Hope this helps.

If the lights are blinking, maybe with luck, you can bleed system and possibly get pump to clear. It’s possible the pump is empty. Worst case is pump is done and the rebuild company got stalled with unobtainable parts. Used pumps iffy.

One of several how to’s and the funnel needed
It was from the 11xx models with same brake system so main difference is the oddball front bleed port not on the 1200’s

http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/service_abs3.pdf

OK, finally acquired tools & time--Rear ABS Circuit and Rear Brake successfully flushed!

The ABS unit appeared to be VERY thirsty for fluid.

These warnings have disappeared:

General warning light flashes red 1x per second, ABS warning light flashes 1x per second (upon power-up)

However, 'Brake Failure' flashes in the color red once per second...

I have not completed the pull-away test as I am hesitant to reassemble fuel tank and body work until I'm confident the system is good.

Thoughts on the 'Brake Failure' condition?

Thank you.

On your bike, does it require forward movement to sync up the system and cancel the light.

OM

Yep - it's going to take a ride (or I think a push down the driveway may also work) for the ABS system to "see" that the brake system is reading the wheel sensors correctly.

Also - hello from Minnesota! (Hopefully you're in the local MN club too?)

On your bike, does it require forward movement to sync up the system and cancel the light.

OM

Yep - it's going to take a ride (or I think a push down the driveway may also work) for the ABS system to "see" that the brake system is reading the wheel sensors correctly.

Also - hello from Minnesota! (Hopefully you're in the local MN club too?)

I forgot to add, key at least needs to be on. :eek

OM

Mike here--yes, well played on the forward movement!

I turned on the ignition & foot-paddled the GSA down the alley up to the requisite 5 km/hr and the 'Brake Failure' flashing light extinguished.

Appears to be mission success!

Thank you again to all for your fast & friendly communication, a great reminder of why we are all part of the BMW MOA.

Thanks also for the link to the Minnesota Club--I've been 'bumming around' since 1996 and was unaware of this organization.

Keep the rubber side down!

Mike here--yes, well played on the forward movement!

I turned on the ignition & foot-paddled the GSA down the alley up to the requisite 5 km/hr and the 'Brake Failure' flashing light extinguished.

Appears to be mission success!

Thank you again to all for your fast & friendly communication, a great reminder of why we are all part of the BMW MOA.

Thanks also for the link to the Minnesota Club--I've been 'bumming around' since 1996 and was unaware of this organization.

Keep the rubber side down!

This is a little glitch that shows up regularly so don’t feel alone.
Thanks for following up on how you made out.

OM

Back