• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'02 K1200LT Centerstand challenge

offdutyagain

I'm new to the Forum and after many years of not riding, finally bought my dream bike, a 2002 K1200 LT. I've owned several bikes and my last Beemer was a R1100RT, which I absolutely loved. But...after getting the "new" bike home, I went to place the bike on the centerstand and...no way! I tried muscling it up, tried every trick I could think of and ultimately dumped my "new bike" over on its right side trying to get the thing on the centerstand.

I'm not a small guy (6'7" and 250) but I've NEVER had so much difficulty with a motorcycle. Sooo my question is, could there be a rear suspension issue that needs to be addressed that is causing the bike to sit lower than normal or is there something else I'm missing?

I've had both knees replaced and am not as flexible as I once was, am pushing 68 years and don't want to have to sell this thing. I need some advice.

It could just be the technique that you are using to lift your LT. I don't own an LT so I can't give specific advice for an LT but at 62 I haven't found a bike yet that I haven't been able to put on the centerstand. I put my left hand on the left grip and my right hand on whatever means the motorcycle manufacturer has provided for lifting the bike on the right side. I always put the centerstand down with my right foot until it touches the ground. This will just about always have only the left hand centerstand foot touching the ground. I then rock the bike away from me until I feel the right hand centerstand foot hit the ground. Step hard on the centerstand knob while lifting with your right hand and pulling back with your left hand. I hope I explained it where it makes sense.

I once sold a CB750K to a co-worker and he was unable to put it on the centerstand. He was much taller then me. I watched his technique and saw that he was putting his left hand on the left grip and his right hand on the right grip and trying to pull the bike back onto the centerstand. No matter how hard he pulled he couldn't do it. I showed him the way I always did it and when he used that way he could.

When I first got my K100RT, I just couldn't get it onto the centre stand. Once the shock was replaced, problem solved until a few years later when I had the bike lowered by half an inch. Problem solved by placing a small board under the rear wheel.

Possibly one of these solutions may work for combined with the above technique suggestion.

Cheers!

Left hand holding left handgrip, right hand holding the lifting handle. Use right foot to pull down the centerstand till it rests on the ground, then place right foot on the upturned “foot” of the centerstand. You want the ball of your right foot on that upturned end of the centerstand foot as that is going to add leverage to what you are about to do. Raise the bike off the sidestand to a vertical position, then in one motion pull up and back on the LH grip and the RH lifting handle AS YOU STAND ON THE CENTERSTAND FOOT, PUTTING ALL YOUR WEIGHT ON THE UPTURNED “FOOT” OF THE CENTERSTAND. The bike should rock back just slightly as it rises up onto the centerstand.

I’m 6-2 and 238 and find the above procedure works well on ALL the BMW motorcycles I own. If you are still having problems getting the bike on the centerstand, I believe there were aftermarket electric centerstands sold for the LT, you might be able to secure a new or used one of those.

Good luck,
DG

I agree with GTRider - works great

It takes a bit but of practice but once you get it, you have it. I'm 6'3 230lbs and had both my hips redone this year after the first round of total hip replacements done 20 years ago. (still in my 50's). Possibly have someone assist you until you find the "zen" Best wishes, and good luck!

I ride my LT rear tire up on a 2" x 6" & set the side stand on a piece of plywood. I prefer to use the handle from the side case.

There is a pivot sleeve on each side of the center stand that has two o-rings. Sometimes the grease gets washed out & the o-rings tear. I'm rebuilding a center stand this weekend and I can post some pictures later today.

Here is a picture of the complete center & side stand assembly. On this centerstand I have reinforced the legs above & below the horizontal bar.

Attachments

• Centerstand 001.jpg
    Centerstand 001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Centerstand 002.jpg
    Centerstand 002.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Centerstand 003.jpg
    Centerstand 003.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 106
I ride my LT rear tire up on a 2" x 6" & set the side stand on a piece of plywood. I prefer to use the handle from the side case.
Right on. The reason this works, leverage, points out a couple of reasons for trouble getting the LT up on the centerstand--an underinflated rear tire, or a too small rear tire (should be 160/70 B17). The LT's rear preload adjuster would lose hydraulic fluid and effectiveness. Find the fix at www.bmwlt.com.

I have found that maneuvering my F-800GS onto the center stand a chore. I noticed this rather slick handle at Wunderlich-

8160457.jpg

And to test the theory, used a length of "endless" rope made into a sling- and it helps. If I can space my lifting point (arm position) in a better relationship to my foot position, putting the bike on the CS is so much easier. The lift handles are available for all the models and while a bit on the expensive side, would be a solution for me and my ride.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=WA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8160457

OM

I have found that maneuvering my F-800GS onto the center stand a chore. I noticed this rather slick handle at Wunderlich-

8160457.jpg

And to test the theory, used a length of "endless" rope made into a sling- and it helps. If I can space my lifting point (arm position) in a better relationship to my foot position, putting the bike on the CS is so much easier. The lift handles are available for all the models and while a bit on the expensive side, would be a solution for me and my ride.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=WA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=8160457

OM

Handles like that came OEM on K75, K100, and K1100 bikes. Then BMW went backwards.

We have those levers on two of our traveling bikes. When loaded for travel, a definite assist.

I have lifted a few LT's, it is more technique than muscle. Can you have someone spot you several times to get the feel?

And I also wonder on correct rear tire size or pressure low?

Handles like that came OEM on K75, K100, and K1100 bikes. Then BMW went backwards.

Some bean-counter at AG likely got a promotion for saving all that money from handles. For a company that has produced motorcycles for a long time, and has produced bikes that tend to stick around and be usable for a long time, BMW often seems very short-sighted with their money-saving downgrades and omissions (e.g. the “tool kit” on modern bikes). They seem to not understand or care that those shortcomings will still be getting kicked around the campfire 20 or 30 years after the bike left the dealer showroom. I guess it’s the new business model in action, one that doesn’t look down the road any further than the quarterly P&L statement or the annual balance sheet. :(

Best,
DG

I guess it’s the new business model in action, one that doesn’t look down the road any further than the quarterly P&L statement or the annual balance sheet. :(

Best,
DG

Quarterly reports are the scourge of the modern corporation. When he suggested he might take Tesla private Elon Musk said that doing so would allow him to focus on the long term instead of next quarter's report.

Well... now that center stands are an option ($$$) why would you put on a handle?

For the OP - you can always park on some small pieces of wood to elevate the front and rear wheels.

k1200 up on center stand

I'm new to the Forum and after many years of not riding, finally bought my dream bike, a 2002 K1200 LT. I've owned several bikes and my last Beemer was a R1100RT, which I absolutely loved. But...after getting the "new" bike home, I went to place the bike on the centerstand and...no way! I tried muscling it up, tried every trick I could think of and ultimately dumped my "new bike" over on its right side trying to get the thing on the centerstand.

I'm not a small guy (6'7" and 250) but I've NEVER had so much difficulty with a motorcycle. Sooo my question is, could there be a rear suspension issue that needs to be addressed that is causing the bike to sit lower than normal or is there something else I'm missing?

I've had both knees replaced and am not as flexible as I once was, am pushing 68 years and don't want to have to sell this thing. I need some advice.

Well Sir, have a 2000 K1200LTC, putting it up on the center stand is something you have to learn.

Here is my cell # 6103494168. call me some time an I may be able to help. I also have both knees replace, as well as the left hip and my right shoulder.

George aka MTHELMET

Thanks for all the comments. I've been away from the forum the past couple of weeks and haven't had a chance to check the thread. I'll check all the suggestions, low tire; tire size; 2x6; spotter this week.

Thanks for all the comments. I've been away from the forum the past couple of weeks and haven't had a chance to check the thread. I'll check all the suggestions, low tire; tire size; 2x6; spotter this week.

Might want to check that the preload adjuster is working correctly. The oil in the circuit can partial evaporate or leak out. You can refill by backing out the adjuster and filling thru the banjo bolt threads. You will need to press on the internal piston with a blunt tool too be sure it has fully retracted before refilling. Made a huge difference with getting my 00 on it’s centerstand.

Back