• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dallas to Jasper and British Columbia Part 4- The last part

RTRandy

I should have suspected something different about this area with a highway named "Icefields Parkway". Everything changed after about 40 miles north of Banff. It was starting to look more like Switzerland with these peeks and cold temperatures. I was hoping to stop at Lake Louise, but missed the exit so I pressed on. All the lakes in this area had this very unusual green color which I suspect had something to do with the purity or certain mineral content. Either way, it was all beautiful up there.
177556483-L.jpg

Don't adjust your screens, the water is really this color.

177556894-L.jpg

This place was like the Colorado Rockies on steroids.
177557390-L.jpg

177557468-L.jpg

177557744-L.jpg

177557821-L.jpg

This next group is interesting. Hard to show the scale of this area with just a small camera, but if you look at the bus in the lower right and then scan up off to the left, you will see a road with these buses taking tourists out on this glacier. Those black dots out there further up are the buses.
177557916-L.jpg

Here if you look closely at the base, those are hikers trying to head out on to the ice.
177557944-L.jpg

So much for the beauty of this area. Now for the disturbing reality: I was told in the late 40's and part of the 50's that this glacier came over what is now the highway you see today. We are actually looking at something in the process of disappearing. Very haunting when you see this up close. Those are tons of cars and buses out there if you look closely.
177558186-L.jpg

Another receding glacier off to the right.
177558313-L.jpg

Spectacular and yet disturbing.
177558405-L.jpg

Continuing on to Jasper the weather got even colder.
177558623-L.jpg

177558874-L.jpg

Jasper was a charming town and a welcome stop after riding all morning with very little signs civilization.
177558935-L.jpg

177559090-L.jpg

When was the last time you saw one of these? There are none in the US today.
These always held some intrigue for me as a young boy and I always wanted to ride in one, but never got the chance. The train was moving when I took this shot. Would love to know where it was heading.
177559188-L.jpg

The locomotive however was parked here permanently for all to admire.
177559300-L.jpg

Not surprising they had one of these instead. Get it?
177559422-L.jpg

I made it to Blue River that day and decided to call it a night. Not many towns with places to stay in the area plus I wanted to be off the road before dark due to animals.
Glad I stopped when I did, since the place filled up. Still cold the next morning when I took these shots out front of the hotel. The gas station next door made it easy to fill up and get going in the morning.

177559522-L.jpg

177559616-L.jpg

Continued:

Glad you enjoyed your trip through my "backyard". My wife and I are going to do a day ride up the icefields parkway tomorrow.

FYI, the water colour is due to the finely gorund sediments from the glacial meltwater runoff that supplies much of the water in the lakes and rivers up there.

Continued Part 4

I posted these shots in case anyone wanted to ride this area and would want to find a place to stay.
177559684-L.jpg

Morning out front. Another day of layers and rain suit.
177559561-L.jpg

Finally heading out to Kamloops:
177559461-L.jpg

Most of the morning was riding along rivers and railroads. Lots of logging in this area with these "Sorting fields" along the way.
177559774-L.jpg

177559852-L.jpg

177559958-L.jpg

177560052-L.jpg

177560115-L.jpg

177560176-L.jpg

A shot of my GPS heading east out of Kamloops. I keep my view set for "North UP".
As you can see there is the river on my left and my next turn is 53 miles ahead. Most likely Salmon Arm.

177560387-L.jpg

The destination that night was the Ainsworth Hot Springs recommended by "Montana".
GPS shows me arriving at 5:01 though I still needed to stop for lunch and get more gas. When I got here the place was sold out. I couldn't book in advance since I never knew how far I could get each day up there.
http://www.hotnaturally.com/

Continuing east towards Salmon Arm and Revelstoke.
177560478-L.jpg

177560692-L.jpg

Took a shot of this place at the base of a lake and would love to know what the heck this place is. ???
177561102-L.jpg

Missed a turn so I did a U-turn here which pointed me west momentarily until I could get back over this bridge.
177561177-L.jpg

This was the line waiting for the free ferry about 30 miles south of Revelstoke on the way to Nakusp. My GPS said in these exact words: "In point 8 miles, board ferry". Gotta love the Zumo!
177561207-L.jpg

Here comes the ferry and I was able to get to the front of the line.
177561241-L.jpg

177561345-L.jpg

Last guy off.
177561418-L.jpg

First guy on.

177561549-L.jpg

Last edited:
Continued Part 4

You can't believe how close they guided these trucks to my bike. I was having second thoughts about being first.

177561658-L.jpg

First time in two weeks I was being carried by a motor that I wasn't controlling. Worth the trip just to ride the ferry. Just beautiful crossing and a very relaxing ride.

177561744-L.jpg

177562077-L.jpg

Still that awesome green water.
177562201-L.jpg

I guess you could say this is a shot of the cars in the oncoming lane. Passing the ferry coming from the other side.
177565484-L.jpg

One of the benefits of being first off on a motorcycle ahead of all the trucks and campers is I had no traffic for almost an hour. Weather was finally getting warmer though some light rain in parts
177562423-L.jpg

177562517-L.jpg

Remember the Ainsworth which was booked? Well I ended up here. Kind of pricey, but after riding from Blue River in the morning and everything sold out in the area, I was in no position to argue. Believe it was called the Kootenay Lake Lodge.

177562642-L.jpg

View from my room. The tent was only temporarily there for a wedding that weekend.
It also had a golf course and a good restaurant. This was in Balfour which is where I needed to pick up yet another ferry in the morning.

177563290-L.jpg

177563475-L.jpg

177563812-L.jpg

177563920-L.jpg

The following morning I headed for the ferry which was much larger than the last one.
177564306-L.jpg

177564525-L.jpg

177564809-L.jpg

Not even close to the front this time.

177565580-L.jpg

Weather was super for the rest of the day all the way to Sand Point and Coeur D' Alene where I spent the night.

177565616-L.jpg

Finally getting back to familiar territory at Porthill up ahead.

177565777-L.jpg

177565879-L.jpg

177565914-L.jpg

Spent the night in Coeur D' Alene. Following days were Coeur D' Alene to Jackson Hole, WY. Next day was Jackson Hole to Grand Junction. Next was Grand Junction to Taos for two nights in Taos. Finally Taos to Dallas.
Total distance was just over 5,700 miles in 16 days.

Thanks for coming along.

Last edited:
RTRandy,

you take:

1. great trips.
2. great pictures.

thanks! :clap

Wonderful trip and pics! I've ridden there several times, and enjoyed every minute.

The train is ViaRail Canada's, and it runs Toronto to Vancouver, 3x/week in each direction. Mary and I took it westbound last October, and it was an awesome experience, too: great views, comfortable, excellent food, not terribly crowded, and plenty of time to read. Refurbished 50s equipment. The train stops every eight hours or so for fuel, and there's a three hour stop (in Winnipeg, I think) in the middle. Three nights on the train. It's a very humane system: everyone's polite, and...if you warn them in advance, they'll stop the train wherever you want so that you can get off with your backpack. (Let them know in advance, and they'll even stop to pick you up!)

RTRandy,

you take:

1. great trips.
2. great pictures.

thanks! :clap

Thanks Lee! Not much feedback on this years trip for some reason so I'm glad you enjoyed the views.

Wonderful trip and pics! I've ridden there several times, and enjoyed every minute.

The train is ViaRail Canada's, and it runs Toronto to Vancouver, 3x/week in each direction. Mary and I took it westbound last October, and it was an awesome experience, too: great views, comfortable, excellent food, not terribly crowded, and plenty of time to read. Refurbished 50s equipment. The train stops every eight hours or so for fuel, and there's a three hour stop (in Winnipeg, I think) in the middle. Three nights on the train. It's a very humane system: everyone's polite, and...if you warn them in advance, they'll stop the train wherever you want so that you can get off with your backpack. (Let them know in advance, and they'll even stop to pick you up!)

Another reason why I love this forum and always manage to get some great info here.I really wanted to know the story on that train when I saw it slowly pulling out of Jasper.
I book marked the Via Canada's web site in hopes I can take that train in the future. I think it's cool that they use refurbished trains from the 50's. Hopefully I may finally end up riding in one of those cars with a sky view. I turn 60 next spring and they have a promotion where if you're 60, you can bring a companion for free.

Thanks for the info and the kind feedback.

Randy

Thanks Lee! Not much feedback on this years trip for some reason so I'm glad you enjoyed the views.

Randy

randy - you might consider combining all the days into one single ride report, so people can follow along. i was a little disjointed with them being in separate posts. also, if you got 12 comments, but they were spread over 4 threads, it seems like less feedback. i wouldve felt silly posting "awesome pics!" in all four threads.

rocky ride

Randy:

Glad you made it home safely. How did you like the Glory Road (New Denver to Kaslo)?

By the way, for any of our other members who use the inland BC ferries, the attendants usually don't complain if you go to the head of the wait line, as they like the bikes to get off first.

Here is another link to a Canadian passenger train service that may be of interest:http://www.rockymountaineer.com/sweet_dreams_special/default.aspx?knc-sdsgoogcdnb-ad7&gclid=CIC9tumN4Y0CFQpJYQodi2Tufg

Thanks for a great ride report. I know the locations of just about all your shots and I felt like I was out there riding too.:)

Rinty

Wow, Randy. In my thirty years of living in the area, I still haven't gotten to everything you managed to see! Good on ya.

randy - you might consider combining all the days into one single ride report, so people can follow along. i was a little disjointed with them being in separate posts.

Couple of things contributed to the multiple parts: I started the first part late at night and had to sign off when I got too tired to finish. I wasn't sure if there was a way to "Save" the work before actually submitting it live. That way I could have worked on it in parts before submitting the final report. I suppose I could have copied and pasted the text and codes to a separate document and perhaps paste the completed report back in the end ?

The other thing that happened was with all the photos I had loaded, the post seemed to take a long time to load after it was complete. It's possible it was just my server being slow at the time, but I was concerned that by having so many photos, it might take too long to load for anyone trying to view the report. I started to think that was one of the reasons there is a limit of 20 photos per post. ???

I'm putting this up here for other members who want to furnish their ride reports in the future and hopefully keep them in one part.

Wow, Randy. In my thirty years of living in the area, I still haven't gotten to everything you managed to see! Good on ya.

Now you tell me. I just followed your suggestions thinking you had ridden these roads many times. Grate ride the whole way thanks to you.

Back