• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil Filter Damage

dougjordan

I know cold oil and high RPM's can collapse the filter. I thought it crunched the filter paper not bend metal.

Attachments

• IMG_20180920_144713.jpg
    IMG_20180920_144713.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 186
Looks pretty serious. Your bike and your filter? So I'm guessing you did start under cold situations and the RPMs got high? Have you been able to assess what if anything happened to the engine??

Looks pretty serious. Your bike and your filter? So I'm guessing you did start under cold situations and the RPMs got high? Have you been able to assess what if anything happened to the engine??

78 R100/7, Had it from new. Just turned 100,000 miles . Runs great would take it anywhere . Aware of high oil pressure on a cold engine in cold weather (had a pressure gauge). Always take it easy till warmed up. I thought maybe a defect. Only use BMW parts.

I have the same bike, same situation with miles. Can't say as I've looked under the paper filter much...I know I should though. I'm in a warm climate most of the time, so I don't think I've ever experienced that before.

Never know what is inside until you "go deep". I just changed oil(s) on a Cummins M-11, 43 quarts. The oil filter holds around 2 quarts. It's a filter that I can't crush by normal means due to a "stem" that is about 8" long inside the filter.

I think your fine.....kinda interesting though :thumb
OM

I'm too lazy too look but I thought a airhead motor had a oil pressure reducing valve, kinda like a old VW..
A spring with a piston that that lets excess pressure past.

I have a seriously hard time believing that engine oil pressure would do that. With the pressure that would take, I think other issues would crop up. Fast. I agree with the manufacturing defect.

Snowbum suggests that the oil pressure can get quite high under cold conditions. He writes that the pressure relief valve opens around 75 psi. If that fails to open, then the higher pressure could collapse the element. If that happens and completely blocks the flow of oil, the main galleys in the engine would be starve for oil.

Back