• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Motorrad repair manual screen sizing

AjaxTheDog

Has anyone figured out how to resize the repair manual screen so that it isn't full screen top to bottom? The bottom of it hides under my toolbar and I always have to move the toolbar location to the left or right to see all of the repair manual. There's a screen shot below of my problem, the bottom of the manual window panel gets hidden under the toolbar. The manual window is no resizable by any normal methods I know of.

It would seem a simple problem but no amount of display resolution changing or anything else I do seems to fix this.

Capture2.jpg

Up at the very top right of your screen - you should see the "Sizing" icons in individual boxes: " - " makes it smaller (where you can then drag each edge individually to re-size and re-position the view), and the rectangle makes it full-screen.

If that doesn't do it, try the "View" pull-down at the top left, then the "Zoom" control.

Other than that... :scratch

Bill's screen shot shows that the middle of the three icons on the top right, to maximize or window the program, is grayed out and unavailable. It's the same here on all of my machines, from a netbook to a 55" 4K TV. BMW just did not make resizing that main menu window an option. As best I can tell, you need at least 730 pixels vertically to show that entire window and border.

I think the minimum display resolution for the program is 1024x768. (Right click a blank area of the desktop, select "Screen resolution" to see and change the current setting) If your screen is not capable of this setting, you can gain a little more screen space by "hiding" the taskbar. (Right click a blank area of the task bar, and select "taskbar settings." The bar will come back when you move the mouse to the bottom of the screen or tap the "windows" key.) Or, just drag the bar to the side of the screen where you have more real estate.

One other possibility is that your Windows 10 is configured to magnify text and apps, since your desktop icons look a little big for the size of the screen. That can be adjusted, but will change the size of everything. (Right click on the desktop, Display Settings, reset Scale and Layout to 100%)

My resolution is set at 1920x1080, well above where there should be any problem. Like Larry says the panel resize options just aren't available so you get full screen top to bottom and clipped sides no matter what. No resize arrows appear when you try for them on corners or borders. The only thing that works is to put the toolbar on the right or left side, something I don't care for all the time, so I have to change it every time I run this program. I think software usability just isn't a strongpoint for BMW, oh well.

I did however find out one useful thing for users whose VIN's are later than a December 2016 production date. You can't enter your VIN (it doesn't know about VIN's like mine later than 2016) but you can enter your TYPE CODE to avoid choosing all the models and accessories for your bike. Mine is Type Code: 0A13. When I enter that it saves a lot of tedious repeat data entry. You can find your Type Code on Realoem from your VIN number.

In the meantime I am going to try some compatibility settings in Windows 10. Maybe that'll work.

I think I got it

Hey, I actually figured it out! In Settings under display scale and layout there is a recommended setting (in my case 150%) but when I changed it to something smaller (125%) I could see the whole panel. Unfortunately this made everything require reading glasses, but I noticed there is the ability to set a custom size. I set it to 140% which is a little smaller than normal but still lets me see the whole panel. I'm happy.

Back