• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Its like pulling teeth... Brake Caliper Recall

Wethead

Does anyone know anything about WHEN is beemer-land gonna fix them caliper on recall?

I can't seem to find out anywhere, any info on this things. Its like a secret only the BMW CIA knows...what is up with that?

Does anyone know anything about WHEN is beemer-land gonna fix them caliper on recall?

I can't seem to find out anywhere, any info on this things. Its like a secret only the BMW CIA knows...what is up with that?

BMW sent this email to me last Wednesday the 20th, they really are tight lipped and wouldn't even confirm if they will be using Brembos.

Steve

"We are still awaiting confirmation of the first shipment of the new brake calipers and I will advise with any updates.

Kind regards"

Hopefully the logjam will clear soon! I'm going to add some context to the thread title to help with future searching.

1/24/2021 - I just looked at the NHTSA website and found two more communications from BMW to dealers which seem to provide more timing information.

Here is the link to the text of the first one: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V476-4929.pdf It generally explains that Brembo, Nissin and Hayes calipers are coming to the US for installation by dealers.

Here is the link to the text of the second one: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCMN-20V476-7796.pdf This gives more details regarding timing of the replacements.

Last edited:
I received this yesterday from BMW, not much info though.

Steve

Good afternoon,

We are still awaiting confirmation of the first shipment of the new brake calipers. You will receive a 2nd recall notification letter when the remedy becomes available advising you to schedule an appointment to have the recall repair performed at your authorized BMW Motorrad dealer.

Thank you again for your continued patience.

Kind regards,

This line just always cracks me up in there emails.

"Thank you again for your continued patience."

Like we have a choice.

Steve

It now boils down to the speed of production and the logistics of getting the Brembo calipers to where they need to go. Much of this is out of BMW's control. Every time a dealer (and BMW) has to say "Thank you for your continued patience", it probably causes them to twitch from the sting. Having to recall components made by third parties is bad enough, but in this case the original vendor is incapable of fixing it so BMW has had to switch vendors. I'm sure it has happened before in the general transportation industry, but I'm don't know of any specific instance.

The vast majority of the Hayes calipers don't leak. My dealer here has never seen one bike they've gotten in, leak. Including mine. I've had my RT for over two years and only have 14k, an embarrassingly low total. It's sad, but my bike has spent more time on the battery maintainer than the road. Lots of time parked, which is the scenario where the leaking generally happens. And still they don't leak.

I guess what I'm saying is this is a bit of an extraordinary situation and BMW seems to be doing everything they can to remedy it. Yes, if my calipers were leaking, I would not be happy. But, there'd still be nothing I could do. If there is a silver lining in all this, it's that the pandemic shutdown all the rallies and forced many of us to work from home, so we are riding much less than normal.

Having to recall components made by third parties is bad enough, but in this case the original vendor is incapable of fixing it so BMW has had to switch vendors. I'm sure it has happened before in the general transportation industry, but I'm don't know of any specific instance.

Takata !!!!!

Back