• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mounting a low fender - R80G/S

pmcmahon

I’d like to relocate the fender on my 83’ R80G/S to the lower position on the fork brace. What’s the cleanest (and hopefully the cheapest) way to go about this? Is there a stock BMW fork brace with fender mounts that I can use and what fender do I go with that will both mount up and be the right one for the 21 inch front wheel?

Thanks!

I have and my questions are will the circumference handle a 21 inch wheel vs a 19 and will it require replacing the fork brace?

That will depend on how closely you want to hug the tire. When Voni and I rode to Alaska the first time she was riding an R80ST. The stock fender hugged the tire so closely than any mud encountered in construction zones would have packed in tightly. So I raised the fender a couple of inches so I could at least dig the mud out when it did pack up in the fender.

Also, from memory the fender cross sections are not the same. The GS seemed more rounded and the ST seemed to be a bit more squared off. The ST fender was the same as the R65 fender if I recall correctly.

But there are lots of aftermarket dirt bike fenders that could be fitted and a loop brace could be fashioned from steel strap stock if the low mounting holes exist in the fork sliders. That is the biggest question I have.

I'm not aware of any brace that will mount your high fender to a low position. BMW sold a brace like that for the R100GS in the USA, but the forks are different. Also, the ST fork legs are not the same as the G/S fork legs so the ST fender may not work right anyway.

The San Jose tubular fork brace will work on the G/S and maybe there is room under it to mount the stock fender. I can look into that tomorrow.

Back