• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need help finding this drain tube elbow connector

Blueman

Drain tube elbow connector.jpg
The female end connected to the drain tube under the fuel tank and the male end connected to a hose that was routed behind the engine. Is this an Airhead part? Looked on the fiche but did not see it. Counting on the collective knowledge of those more informed than me! 1978 R100RS fuel tank.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm sure Steven will be right along! But I can't imagine that is an OEM part. My '78 R100/7 tank is not that different from the RS tank of the same year. On mine, there is only one hose that comes out of the bottom of the tank....that's all it is...a simple hose. It plugs into the outlet port which drains essentially water from the cup that is around the fill hole. The other end of the hose routes to somewhere around the swingarm and drops below to the ground.

Yep

Nothing fancy needed. Just a length of hose that fits the fitting on the bottom of the tank. Then the hose routes out to the battery box, swing arm area.

Currently on my 78RS, I don't have the hose hooked up. I lost it during a rebuild never had a problem without it.

On my 84 RT I do have it hooked up and a more then a few times after I have filled the gas tank in the summer and let the bike sit in the sun, the gas expanded and overflowed into the run off and down the hose. Better to have it go down the hose onto the ground in front of the swing arm than to flow onto of a hot engine. Why this has never happened on the RS is most likely because of fueling and not letting it sit afterwards. I need to go to the loo first then pump gas, LOL.

I have a hose that fits the fitting cut to about a half inch length, then, a smaller diameter hose plugged into that. No clamp nothing fancy. Cheers, St.

Elbow

That elbow resembles some fittings that I have in my lifetime collection of brake bleeder adapters. If you could post ID and OD dimensions I could confirm and see whether I have a spare. And as mentioned already, neither of my '78s, an R80/7 nor my '78 R100RS have such a fitting.

Cheers, Russ

auto parts

A quick pop into an Autozone or some such auto parts place with a selection of vacuum fittings, gas line fittings and such might turn up a copy.

Don't know how much stuff you have in your garage, in mine, I have bits a bobs of hose and wire squirreled away in a tool box. Hence, the hose with in a hose fix on my bike. Cheers, St.

That elbow resembles some fittings that I have in my lifetime collection of brake bleeder adapters. If you could post ID and OD dimensions I could confirm and see whether I have a spare. And as mentioned already, neither of my '78s, an R80/7 nor my '78 R100RS have such a fitting.

Thanks for your offer Russ! I will try looking in some auto parts stores.

Back