• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Battery removal

cateyegreen71

Having trouble getting the battery out of a 1975 R90S. I can’t get it pass the frame, any tips? Well, after reading battery again post I think I have the information I need. Thank all of you for your input.

Welcome to the forum!
We have an amazing amount of members with Airhead experience so don’t be afraid to check in with any questions.
Enjoy the forum.
Gary

Two things: The top bolts that hold the rear subframe to the frame get in the way. Also, usually I liked to remove the airbox and filter and take the battery forward and then out to the side.

Welcome to the forum! As Paul said, remove one or more of the bolts holding the sub frame on. Also, I've had to loosen or even remove the nuts that hold the battery box mounted to the rubber bumpers underneath. Along with removing one of the upper attachments for the battery box, it allows me to tilt the box towards the rear, given me a better angle to get the battery out.

Number 16 in this picture:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0278-USA-03-1975-2476-BMW-R90S&diagId=61_0212

Never really tried the forward through the airbox approach...seemed like too much has to be removed to make that work. But certainly an option.

Welcome to the forum! As Paul said, remove one or more of the bolts holding the sub frame on. Also, I've had to loosen or even remove the nuts that hold the battery box mounted to the rubber bumpers underneath. Along with removing one of the upper attachments for the battery box, it allows me to tilt the box towards the rear, given me a better angle to get the battery out.

Number 16 in this picture:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0278-USA-03-1975-2476-BMW-R90S&diagId=61_0212

As Kurt describes, having the battery box tilt back allows the battery to slide up, back and out. I have a 1974, and a 1984 Airhead and I have never had any problem removing the battery this way.

Never really tried the forward through the airbox approach...seemed like too much has to be removed to make that work. But certainly an option.

True for the '80 and later bikes. But the two-piece aluminum airbox and round air filter on the '79 and earlier models it was a one-bolt piece of cake. He has an R90S so it is simple.

True for the '80 and later bikes. But the two-piece aluminum airbox and round air filter on the '79 and earlier models it was a one-bolt piece of cake. He has an R90S so it is simple.

Well, I found removing the clam shell covers, plus the carb air intake tubes, possibly even moving one of the carbs off the header spigot to be too much. Plus the right side is held on with a nut on a stud and the oil mist tube runs out to the right side clam shell.

Each person has to find what works for them.

Back