• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Wear

lee

Debbie's Servant
Yesterday I had my tire guy order two sets of Pilot Road 4 so we have new tires for a trip next month. Hope we take a trip :)
We've had PR4s before and Dunlop Road Smart 3 on the bikes now. For us tire wear is similar between the two brands.
Thought I would show a few pictures so you can see how they compare.
We both ride R1200RS Wetheads.

My Dunlop with 8,450 miles and 3/32" at end of red line.
Tire Lee 8,450 miles 3 32 inch - Copy.jpg

Deb's tire at 7,710 miles, 2.5/32" at same spot.
I would guess 8,700 miles would be max for this tire.
Tire Deb 7,710 miles 2.5 32 inch - Copy.jpg

PR4 Non GT
Tire Lee.JPG

Tire.JPG

More PR4s from another year.
Debbie's tire on the left has 8,794 miles and mine on the right has 9,074.
Tire Deb left 8,794 Lee right 9,074.JPG

Wasn't sure which forum would be best for this thread.

Just face it Lee, Deb just rides harder than you.:stick

How long does she have to wait for you at the end of the twisties?:dunno

:dance:dance:dance

Just curious, why not go for the newer Michelin PR 5?

I don't like rear tires without a tread groove at the center or crossing the center.
There's a lot of tires out there now that can show cords before you're down to the center most wear indicators.
We tried the PR4 back with a Road 5 front and the Road 5 wore faster than any other tire we have tried.

A big thumbs down on the Road 5 from me on my 2016 RT. changed them out way early because the tread pattern created a sympathetic hum in the pegs and bars that was so pronounced I could hear it. At 45mph my hands would go numb on long rides.

Currently just went over 10,000 miles on my Donlops Road Smart 3’s.

Next set will be Pirellie Angel’s, not because the Donlops aren’t totally awesome; I just want to check them out based on an objective review I read two years ago, from my friend Doc Stickle.

Interesting comments. I'm trying to get some miles on the PR5's, but it's been a challenging Spring. My initial impression, relative to the PR4's, is much nicer (more stable) in turns.

I looked at the Lee and Debbie tire data and can reflect back to the two of them at Heartland Park Topeka oh those so many years (I have forgotten when and which bikes) ago. So we have a conundrum I pose to the masses. You are free to offer opinions.

Is Debbie the more aggressive rider? Or is Lee just a whole lot smoother? Vote now. :)

I got the same results with my RT, R and FJR. It must be me.

As you know there's a lot of variables.
Riding style, road surface, curvy roads and temps.
We almost always ride together and do not get the same tire wear. It not unusual for me to get 10% to 15% better tire life than Debbie.

I looked at the Lee and Debbie tire data and can reflect back to the two of them at Heartland Park Topeka oh those so many years (I have forgotten when and which bikes) ago. So we have a conundrum I pose to the masses. You are free to offer opinions.

Is Debbie the more aggressive rider? Or is Lee just a whole lot smoother? Vote now. :)

I vote that Lee is more often the lead rider, and a lead rider can be smoother and make fewer speed adjustments than a wingman. But that effect diminishes over time as the riders become more attuned to each other’s lead styles.
:):)

DeVern

Who uses more engine braking?

Both of us like to engine brake coming into a turn.
We had a rider follow us down a mountain once and he commented that he rarely saw the brake light come on either bike.

I looked at the Lee and Debbie tire data and can reflect back to the two of them at Heartland Park Topeka oh those so many years (I have forgotten when and which bikes) )

It was 1991 when BMW gave us the free CLASS with the purchase of our 1991 K75S bikes.

Here's Debbie on her K75S and a K100RS that belonged to a instructor.

Track Deb - Copy.jpg

Track.JPG

Last edited:
I vote that Lee is more often the lead rider, and a lead rider can be smoother and make fewer speed adjustments than a wingman. But that effect diminishes over time as the riders become more attuned to each other’s lead styles.
:):)

DeVern

I think she accelerates harder when passing.

I vote neither.

Rather, Debbie is surely lighter and therefore experiences more wheel spin.

Long time ago (like 1970s) there was an article about tire wear and this was the explanation given for longer tread life for 2-up riding versus solo riding.

This is about rear tires of course, but then they are the first to wear out.

Back