• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which one R1250R vs R1250RS ?

mosrrt

Thinking of moving from 2016 R1200RT to a 1250R 0r 1250RS.
Don't ride long distance any more ( mostly 100 miles or less ) but do want to be able to ride a 250 - 350 mile day two up from time to time .
Not big people and closing on 70 but in good shape.

So which one and why,? to those who have made the purchase of a R1250 something.

Will you have a chance to ride both?
I took a short ride on a 2016 R1200R and liked it.

Yes I have but looking for input from owners ......short rides don't help much ......its long term use that counts

I moved from a RT to a R1200RS in 2016 because I wanted a less heavy, less top heavy bike and I felt the fairing of the RT had just gotten too big, bulbous. Just my opinion..not every one. When the new RS came out it was/is a bit lighter, the gas tank is smaller so less weight up high and the fairing gives enough wind rain protection for my occasional 500+ mile day.

The handling on the RS is great, takes a bit more effort (much narrower bars) and I feel the ESA forks area bit better too ( came to this conclusion after I had the bike for a while).

The R1200R is almost the same bike but the RS front axle is about 1/2 inch forward...less trail. Look at front fork axles location carefully. That is the only material difference in the bikes.

I did lower the pegs on my RS and raise the bars about an inch to sit a bit more upright and unfold my old knees a bit. Nearly 40k miles and still loving it

The R1250RS is a natural evolution of the R1200 ...better on several accounts..mosly better emission and better torque spread. Nicer new display too.
Not enough change for me to money up the money to trade my older RS in however.

The best idea is to ride both. Enjoy

I moved from a RT to a R1200RS in 2016 because I wanted a less heavy, less top heavy bike and I felt the fairing of the RT had just gotten too big, bulbous. Just my opinion..not every one. When the new RS came out it was/is a bit lighter, the gas tank is smaller so less weight up high and the fairing gives enough wind rain protection for my occasional 500+ mile day.

The handling on the RS is great, takes a bit more effort (much narrower bars) and I feel the ESA forks area bit better too ( came to this conclusion after I had the bike for a while).

The R1200R is almost the same bike but the RS front axle is about 1/2 inch forward...less trail. Look at front fork axles location carefully. That is the only material difference in the bikes.

I did lower the pegs on my RS and raise the bars about an inch to sit a bit more upright and unfold my old knees a bit. Nearly 40k miles and still loving it

The R1250RS is a natural evolution of the R1200 ...better on several accounts..mosly better emission and better torque spread. Nicer new display too.
Not enough change for me to money up the money to trade my older RS in however

The best idea is to ride both. Enjoy

Just the reason I am considering the move . Why did you pick the RS over the R ?

All input is welcome ! why RS over R ?

Both my wife and I were only able to take short test rides on the R.
Both of us liked the R but were not sure how no wind protection would be on a 500 mile day.
Without knowing how the R would feel we went with the type of bike we were used to.

Just the reason I am considering the move . Why did you pick the RS over the R ?

The dealer let me take the R for a 3 hr test ride (saturday morn BMW rider group) and I really liked it. However I wanted the wind/weather protection of the fairing. The dealer finally got an RS in so I could try that. I liked the R's higher and bit wider bars, but the benefits of the fairing won out when I learned I could raise the RS's bar easily with aftermarket kit.

Hope this helps

The dealer let me take the R for a 3 hr test ride (saturday morn BMW rider group) and I really liked it. However I wanted the wind/weather protection of the fairing. The dealer finally got an RS in so I could try that. I liked the R's higher and bit wider bars, but the benefits of the fairing won out when I learned I could raise the RS's bar easily with aftermarket kit.

Hope this helps

Or equip the R with a simple aftermarket windshield

Or consider a factory lowered GS. More suspension, more leg room, hand guards. Add a touring windshield and you have a capable sport touring bike. (like mine!)

Or equip the R with a simple aftermarket windshield

An after market windscreen is certainly a less expensive way to go.
I did consider this but the RS fair/windscreen give more complete coverage, and I do liked the more integrated look of the bike with the fairing.
I also like the 2 position mechanism of the RS windscreen. I like to ride while looking over the windscreen in good weather, the helmet more in clean air, but in the rain I like the "up" position which keeps more of the wet off the helmet.

After having the RS a few months I found the stock wind screen in the up position work well for the helmet but fed a significant portion of rain to my shoulders.
I looked for a bit wider (about 2 inches) at the top screen. This screen is not taller, just a bit wider at the top. It is a Calsci and is straight vertically and rounded side to side, making more laminar flow possible vs the stock which has several molded in curves.

Now that both the R and RS have been on the market for quite a while so there is a much wider choice in the after market.

ps I do enjoy riding briskly in the twisties, the GS's prudently fall back while a friend on his Ducati shows the way!

I bought the R largely because the sitting position of the RS didn't suit me. Then I found out the R bars will fit the RS. Sigh. I would like to have the extra wind protection. I've now tried three screens. The BMW high screen is the best, a bit of protection and little buffeting, but a long highway trip will be loud. The Puig and V-Stream sport touring didn't work for me. I miss the ability to change screen position as I did on my SD GT.

But, when the bikes are similar in price, why would you spend $ to mount a bigger screen? Just buy the bike with the fairing & screen.

Plastic. And screws. And broken tabs. And $$$ in a tip over at 0 mph. Lots of very good reasons to like a more naked bike. That is why I bought an R1150R in 2003. YMMV

I would go for the Roadster. I used to own an 1150R and I farkled it to my liking, my opinion is biased.

If I was going to replace my RT, I’d get another Roadster and an aftermarket windshield and a few other bits and pieces. It’s a great long distance traveling companion.

Back